Guatemala City, Guatemala

Check Guatemala City Hotel Deals

Quetzalroo Guatemala City Reviews

andrejav andrejav
Quetzalroo Hostel Dec 18, 2011
Having passed by Guatemala City few times, this time I decided to stay for a night and give this city a chance to show that ugly reviews are not totally truth. My friends and I chose the Quetzalroo hostel by searching trough different websites, and this one looked decent, and the most importantly it was in the “good part of the town”. City is organized in “zones” and while everyone says that it is fairly easy to find the place where you are going, I have issue with 20 zones with the 6th Avenue in different areas… It is not rare that when passing in other zone same name street goes missing. Transport in city has a bright spot called Trans Metro, and it is three bus lines with dedicated street line and well organized schedule. These metro buses are only 1Q but it has to be in metal so that you can pass the entrance to the station.

Coming to the Quetzalroo Hostel it was very hard to spot the place but most importantly because there is just a small sign behind the sign on the top of the wall… They told me that they are not realy interested in people walking in, but reserving space first. Parking spaces welcome you to business/condo complex and hostel is at the first door. All ringers had some names, but we knew that hostel is on the 6th floor, so we went for that one, and someone opened the door. Hostel has couple floors, and the 6th has two nice dorms and two private rooms. Place is very home like and owners try to keep it that way.

We got the private room and it cost us the same as dormitory, 15 US$. I think that is way too much money for Guatemalan hospital (regular prices in the country are from 5-8$) but believe it or not this hostel was one of the cheapest in the city. There are two bathrooms on the floor, with hot shower heads that produce some water that is a bit hotter than cold. Beds are comfy in privates, but it did not look that great in the dormitory. Big lockers are available if you need to put something on safe spot, and internet is free of charge. They have breakfast with very good coffee, and if you need to go to airport or bus station, they will take you there for free.

Honestly, there is little that can make this city attractive for more than one day, but people that I talk to say that everything is improving rapidly. Couple of OK museums are scattered through the town, and it is worth to go see the Merkado Central, map and maybe Cathedral. There is lots of hatred that you can feel from some people that you pass. We did not go too far from the main roads or center of the town but there was still words thrown at us by just passing around. In the bus one guy tried to pickpocket me twice… which made me carry only a bit of money with me. Most of the shop proprietors and street vendors think that you must have money to spend on their goods and time to time they are very persistent with their offers.

I would rather spend all time in Antigua Guatemala than to waste one day in Guate City.
Living Room