Querubin

Quito, Ecuador

Querubin Quito Reviews

Toonsarah Toonsarah
Good for a light lunch Oct 25, 2012
On our first day in Quito we were in search of a light lunch, and I had read on VT that one of the courtyards of the Archbishop's Palace had a number of restaurants, including some serving fast food, so we went inside to check them out. There were a couple on the ground floor that looked more casual and of these Querubin appealed most to us. The space inside was quite small and full so we asked if we could eat at one of the tables outside in the courtyard, not being sure which of the several nearby restaurants they belonged to, and were told that indeed we could. It seemed that the tables were common to all the ground floor restaurants in fact.

It was our first day as I said, and we were keen to get our first taste of local food, having arrived too late for dinner the previous night. Chris chose a chicken empanada (a single large pastry rather than the more usual little ones) and I decided to try the humita. Humitas consist of fresh ground corn mixed with egg, sometimes cheese and other flavourings, wrapped in corn husks and steamed. They can be savoury or sweet. This one was savoury but was rather disappointing – so bland in flavour that I could only enjoy eating it once I had covered the corn with generous spoonfuls of the chilli sauce known as aji. As we were eating outside I had to go into the restaurant to ask for the latter – normally it is placed on every table in just about any restaurant in Ecuador. My choice of drink was more successful however – a delicious glass of mora juice. I also had a single espresso after my meal, and Chris had a coke. The bill came to a reasonable $6.80 for the two snacks and three drinks.

On the last day of our holiday we had time in the morning for a final walk around Quito, catching some of the sights we had previously missed, and found ourselves in this vicinity at lunch time, wanting a quick bite before returning to the hotel for our airport transfer. So we returned to Querubin and this time both had toasted sandwiches (just cheese for me, cheese and ham for Chris). I had my last glass of my favourite guanabana juice and Chris had a Fanta, and the bill came to $6.00. Definitely a good option for a light meal in nice surroundings in the heart of the city.
Humita
Mora juice
Waiting for lunch in the Archbisho…

Check Quito Hotel Deals