Queenstown, New Zealand

Queenstown Reviews

Besandri Besandri
Adventure Capital of the World Sep 01, 2014
My take on Queenstown will most likely be different to everyone else.

I don't like going there and often only go if with others that have never been.

My main philosophy is that it's sole purpose is to extract money from tourists, and it does succeed.

There is so much to see and do from Queenstown. If you are happy with the seeing part then you can visit reasonably cheaply. If you want to participate in the doing part then be prepared to pay for it.

Most tourist are on a tight budget but splash out once in Queenstown.

The scenery is fantastic, and one relatively cheap thing that I would recommend to visitors is to take a trip up the gondola. This is one of the few things that is reasonably priced, I expect because they want you to buy something or a meal when you get to the top :)

There are a lot of overseas people that have bought property here, and Queenstown has some of the most expensive property in the country, followed by Auckland.

For me I prefer Lake Wanaka, the scenery is not quite as spectacular but the pace is not as hectic.

If you are spending a few days in Queenstown you will always remember it, not only for the hole in your wallet but for your experiences and photos.

There are also a few places to go for a day trip or as alternative accommodation.

Arrowtown is very close and if you are prepared to go for a longer drive then Glenorcy is also worth traveling to.
natloulan natloulan
Queenstown - Too Beautiful Jun 20, 2012
I stayed here between April 2005 and July 2005.

I have to say I mentally wasn't in the right place but physically couldn't have been in a better place.

I had left behind Sydney where I had a years working holiday visa. I wasn't ready to go home so decided to go to Queenstown.

What a spectacular place. It was winter so quite cold but I had the most wonderful time. I used to walk down a long road called Frankton Road, it ran parallel to Lake Wakatipu. Or there is the lake walk. Queenstown has lots to offer in eateries, bars, even an Ice bar. The adrenaline sports are endless. Its a fun filled town... Work is quite difficult to find though...But overall 1 of the nicest places to be in New Zealand.

My biggest regret - Not taking 1 photograph while I was there. I had no digital camera back then and lost the disposable. :(
hauteboy says:
Queenstown is too gorgeous.. loved it so much I had to go back again.
Posted on: Jun 20, 2012
ccjbeachbum says:
loved queenstown - i was there in jan/feb this year
Posted on: Jun 20, 2012
everywhereandnowhere everywhe…
Snow party anyone ???? Jul 21, 2010
Sooooo.... a few of my mates were hitting the snow this year so despite never been snowboarding before, but been every other type of boarding before and spurred on by anyone I'd ever spoken to telling me that Queenstown is THE party town, off we jetted to New Zealand for a week in July 2010.

Daniel's verdict - yes it's good, great even, but it's not insane - you make the place - it's still a pretty small town with not heaps of places to go out at. But any town that has a place that has 2 for 1 jagerbombs that work out to about $4.20AUD i'm involved :))))

It was an awesome trip - very exhausting - out till 4am every morning when all the good bars are shut and then up again the next morning to hit the mountains for boarding. You can get the bus to Coronet Peak (25 mins) or Remarkables (35 mins) and we did this the first day but then got a car and cruised up ourselves - the drive was a little sketchy at Remarks, and Cardrona a little too. My pick of the three was Remarks, but we only had one day at Cardrona (1 hour away) - i also heard Treble Cone was the pick, but it's 2 hours away.

We stayed at the Novotel - had a few noise complaints but that's what you get for pumping hardstyles at 10pm haha. By then you should be out on the town anyway. It was a good spot, walking distance to everything.

Best bars were Buffalo, Birdeaux (i think that's spelt wrong). And then there were the bigger name ones like the backpacker place, World Bar, and others i can't remember the names but you just wander round and can't miss them... the place really ain't that big.

I'll be going back again, but for longer than 7 days i was soooooooo tired after having about 20 hours sleep in a week haha.

Oh, we also got the gondola up the mountain and went lugeing - don't underestimate how fun this is!!

Also, we flew into Christchurch on the sat night and flew onto Queenstown the next morning - after going out all night in Christchurch. My thoughts on this:

1. Christchurch people don't know how to party we ran out of places to go to until 7am, ended up at the strip club which had more strippers than punters. PASS!

2. The staff at Rydges are very tolerant of drunks from Australia.

3. Thank fuck it's only a 36 min flight from Christchurch to Queenstown...
heading up Coronet Peak
Rodeo - Kiwi styles !
decent lift at The Remarkables
Jager whaaaaaaat!!!!!! $4.20!!!

Related Travel Blogs About Queenstown

Queenstown
Today, I left Franz Josef and on the way, I met 2 Korean girls who were in my glacier group. Apparently they are also going to Queenstown on the same bus. As I sat on the bus and looked at the green …Queenstown and immediately was drawn to how different the Queenstown was in my imagination. Queenstown is the adventure…
New Zealand adventures
Monday 22nd May This morning I woke up ridiculously early after an awful sleep and went to Melbourne airport for my flight to Christchurch, for a month in New Zealand. I had been warned that the win…Queenstown with some people looking a little worse for wear, in their newly-browned trousers. Queenstown was instantly…
wandering
Started this morning at 3.3am after an early night – last night it started to rain and the sound of the pounding surf and rattle of rain on the roof of the van helped me to one of the best nightâ…Queenstown that the clouds came in. During the journey I saw an area that must have been filmed for the Rohan…

Check Queenstown Hotel Deals