Queen Saovabha Memorial Institute and Snake Farm

1871 Rama IV Street, Bangkok, Thailand

Queen Saovabha Memorial Institute and Snake Farm Bangkok Reviews

pauldavidson pauldavi…
Great Day out for all ages Oct 03, 2012
I set out trying to find this attraction in Bangkok, as i had been planning it for ages! I left my friend's apartment with plenty of time to get there for the 11am showing which introduced the audience to the milking of the venom. unfortunately i couldnt find the place in time as i walked down Silom road mistaking it for Rama IV!

anyways i then had plenty of time before the next showing at 2pm to take in the snakes and relax in the beautifully built open-air styled snake house. It wasn't as big as i'd expected but there was a large selection of snakes (which were very camera shy unfortunately).

Anyways, 2pm came around and the show was kicked off by a very knowledgeable speaker who was fluent in both Thai & English and gave the same descriptions in both languages. he introduced the more venomous snakes first starting with the Cobra's the exhibition kept. i wont give anything away here as it would be better for you to witness for yourself but the snake keepers are very skilled at handling the snakes to say the least!

The icing on the cake was the chance to get pictured with a python around your neck (non-venomous). This truly made me enjoy the day there, and I would highly recommend a visit to anyone who visits BKK, due to the easy location of the farm (although watch out for the traffic due to the main roads) and the relatively cheap price for one adult ticket.
cax cax
Interesting and educational knowledge that can save your life here! Apr 24, 2008
Did you know that Thailand is home to 180 varieties og snakes, and that 56 of them are venomous? I certainly did not. One of the things that's allways kept me from visiting Australia is the thought of haveing venomous snakes and spiders in every corner that I pass.

So after I booked my trip to Bangkok, I learned about this attraction and when I hit the line "to teach the public about the venomous snakes of Thailand" I allmost freaked out.

But even though snakes has allways scared the shit out of me, I'm also very attracted to them - so both to satisfy my couriosity and to get more knowledge I decided to visit Queen Saovabha Memorial Institute and Snake Farm.

The main mission of QSMI is to produce antivenoms that are effective for treatment of snakebites in the region. Another mission is to educate people about the snakes, as in how to react if you encounter one, what's the best first aid and whats truth and myth about the snakes in general.

To suit the later purpose QSMI has a large exhibit of snake teraries where you can come and watch the snakes, and at the same time read about them, on the first floor you'll also find a big exhibit on the eveolution of snakes, their phsyiology, and the chemical structure and effects of the diffrent types of venom.

In adition to this there are two shows every day, the first one shows how the venom is extracted from the snakes and the second one i educateing you in which snakes are venomous, which are not, which can be found in Thailand and how do they behave. At the end of the show you'll be given the chance to hold a phyton...a thing I never thought I'd do - but I did it anyway...and I do feel today that I have a much diffrent relationship to the creatures after spending the entire day at the institute.

The admission is 200 THB which allows you to come and go as many times as you want the entire day, this means that if you come early and finish before the second show you can come back and watch the show with no aditional cost.
Queen Saovabha Memorial Institute …
From the exhibit hall - Bangkok sn…
Ornate Gliding Snake, Bangkok Snak…
Cobra - Bangkok Snake Farm.
cax says:
@Harlemrose: Acctually it's quite simple - take the MRT to Silom station, exit and walk along Thanon Rama IV untill it meets with Thanon Henri Dunant, on that street corner you'll find the Red Cross Hospital - it's a 10-15 min walk.
Posted on: Aug 07, 2010