Quan An Ngon

Location :District 1,HCM city

Phone : 08/3829-9449

Prices Main courses:45,000VND-200,000 VND

Credit Cards AE, MC, V

Ngon means "delicious," and, for authentic Vietnamese, this restaurant lives up to its name and gets my vote for the best in Vietnam. Ngon has become a real Ho Chi Minh institution and is always packed with both locals and tourists; they've even built a new location nearby to handle the overflow. The atmosphere is chaotic: a cacophony of laughing, chattering guests, shouting waiters, and clanging pots and pans. Seating is a mix of regular table dining in the central colonial or in the balcony or courtyard out back. The main building is surrounded by cooking stations, each serving a regional specialty. The menu is a survey course in Vietnamese cooking, and the tuition is low. Go with a Vietnamese friend, if you can, or someone who can explain some of the regional specialties. If you're alone, just point and shoot. Everything is good. They have Hue-style bun bo (cold noodles with beef), a catalog of pho (noodle soup), and all kinds of seafood. Meals here are best as leisurely, many-course affairs, but go just for a snack if you're visiting the Reunification Palace or any sights downtown. Don't miss it! :)
aaronic aaronic
You bet it's Viet Mar 25, 2011
It was during a December trip in HCM when we went out and tried Quan An Ngon. Close enough to the backpack district, a short cab ride got us there. Dolled up with big pots of poinsettia blooms, with warm lighting and curtains galore, the place at first didn't seem welcoming, particularly for a group of three who were wearing a whole day of dirt and dust. The place looked expensive that night. Really nice.

We had to wait to be seated (heard from the hotel later on that the place recently underwent renovation and so was more popular) and some more reasonable amount of wait before we were attended to. Our server was perky, but knew little English, thus some problems with ordering. The dishes had English names but not all had photos so we didn't know how many servings there were for each dish. We tried our luck and ended up with a few "group-meals" and some "single-serve" orders. There was a drink called "Ambarella juice" and we thought it was some juice with an umbrella in it (i know, stupid) - what it really was was starfruit juice. Not good, so stay away.

I thought their Tom Yum was suuu-perb. Even better than the one I would have in Thailand six days after. If I had a third thumb, I'd put it up too in recommendation. The hotpot was where it becomes interactive. The pot gets served with all the raw seafood (shrimp, squid, some fish slices), cherry tomatoes, some leaves, spices etc - I was in charge of bringing it up to a simmer!

The caramelized chicken leg with sticky rice with wasn't so bad either. Helped wash away the bitter Ambarella juice.

It was a little pricey (than the place where where had lunch that day, which was also very good - Nha Toi, that's for another review) but I thought it was worth it. I'd go back for the seafood hotpot in a heartbeat.
Hungry and dirty! Lol
Seafood hotpot - hot indeed!
Spring rolls - truly scrumptious!
Welcome - you are in for a treat!
yellowngreen yellowng…
Great ambience, reasonable priced Jul 07, 2011
I never fail to come here whenever i am in HCMC.

Over here you can find many types of authentic Vietnamese food. There are different “stalls” and if you like what you see, you can place your order and they will send it to your table. The atmosphere is great and chill. As most of the patrons are tourist, the menu has English description of the ingredients so you don’t have to guess what you are putting in your mouth.
tvillingmarit tvilling…
Eating with the locals Mar 12, 2009
This is the best restaurant we visited in Ho Chi Minh City. Here you can have the real Vietnamese cosine.

Quan An Ngon

138 Nam Ky Khoi Nghia

Quan Mot, TP

Ho Chi Minh City

We were recommended the restaurant one day when we used a cyclo to take us to Rex Hotel.

The concept behind this open air restaurant is unusual but genial. The owner has recruited the most popular street food vendors to cook the food in the street fair style. Here you eat and drink with the locals. And as we all know, where the locals eat you will have the best food.

The restaurant serves all kind of finger food, noodles, rice dishes, pork, chicken, fish, all kind of sea food……………………

The menu is in Vietnamese and English. No problem to understand what you are ordering, the problem is what to order as you has lots of dishes to choose among. And if you can’t decide what to have, ask the staff to recommend something for you.

The place was crowded the last evening we visited, we had to line up in a cue for 15 minutes. But we know from the last time we visited the restaurant, the food is worth waiting for.

The main building is surrounded by cooking stations, each serving a regional speciality. By the way building isn’t the right word, because you dine outdoor with the feeling of dining indoors.

The service isn’t the best, but they are learning. You’re not in a hurry; Sit down, enjoy the surroundings, listen to the staff shouting out the orders, you’re waiting for a great meal.
albertvn says:
I have not visited this restaurant in Ho Chi Minh City but there is also a Quan An Ngon in Hanoi. I eat at this restaurant in Hanoi several times and highly recommend if you visit Hanoi. As you said, it is difficult to choose from the menu because there are so many dishes. The services in Vietnam in general are not perfect or good but we travel so we experience.
The address of Quan An Ngon in Hanoi is 18 Phan Boi Chau street.

Albert
Posted on: Aug 17, 2009
sethwd2 sethwd2
For the Quick Stop in Saigon May 07, 2008
For those with only a few days in Saigon, I reccommend stopping in Quan An Ngon..so does Lonely Planet, National Geographic, and I'm sure others, so there will be other travelers present.

But, regardless, this restaurant offers Vietnamese specialized street food in a formal restaurant setting. For example, their menu includes pho, bun xeo, bun bo hue, etc, which can be found on the street, but not in one location. This makes it ideal for those with a group who is willing to share: the best way to experience this restaurant is to order many small dishes and share them among the group.

The price is right too, very cheap for a restaurant setting in District 1, especially a location so close to many of the tourist stops. The various "vendors" are set up around the restaurant preparing their specialities. Thusly, you can take a stroll and observe the different dishes as they are prepared.

Check Ho Chi Minh City Hotel Deals