Qal'at Al-Bahrain Site Museum

Manama, Bahrain

Qal'at Al-Bahrain Site Museum Manama Reviews

bensonryan bensonry…
Qal'at Al-Bahrain Site Museum May 18, 2016
Qal'at al-Bahrain is an ancient fort and adjacent museum located in Manama, Bahrain. As a UNESCO World Heritage site, its archeaological excavations have been unearthed revealing antiquities from 40 feet of fort consisting of seven stratified layers from the various Portuguese, Kassite and Persian conquerors with findings from over 5000 years ago. The fort was once utilized as the capital of the Dilmun civilization with many various uses throughout the structure's lifetime. Uses for the structure ranged from civilian, religious, commercial, military and even residential.

The adjacent museum is nicely air-conditioned with artifacts upon showcases depicting many more details about the aforementioned fort. There is a cafe offering food and drink as a resting spot for visitors. We entered the museum on a free promotional day and other days there will be a small fee.

The stroll between the museum and the fort was a bit lengthy. Understandably, there were no tour guides who were brave enough to venture along with us in the 100 plus degree heat. There is also a lack of formality demarcating a proper pathway to the site as well. My friend and I sort of had to figure out a way to the fort not realizing how to initially access the front end. We wound up heading there through the rear entrance, but with very little indication that we were in that section. We kind of find out the central landing area with stationary guide mounts revealing the history and map of the fort.

Depending on the time of day, it would benefit the traveler to hydrate continuously. Our trip in May at high noon in the Middle East was strenuous and we nearly caught heat exhaustion. Luckily, bottled water in Bahrain is extremely cheap about 25 cents a piece.

Overall, this Museum is a good recommend as I don't normally get the opportunity to access a UNESCO site. I kind of wished the fort itself was set up with some sort of cooling stations to prevent any other visitors from getting a heat stroke. Doing that would improve the overall experience of the visitors. The trip there was inhospitable though I toughed it out to the best of my ability.
monkeymia79 says:
Thanks for the informative review Ryan, it sounds like an interesting place.
Posted on: Oct 08, 2016