Q4 Hotel

Check Long Island City Hotel Deals

Q4 Hotel Long Island City Reviews

WalterC WalterC
This is really a hostel, which is a mixed bag! Jul 25, 2016
This will be a very long review, but I feel like I have to share my feelings on this place, and not sure how to make a shortened review.

Located in the Long Island City part of Queens in New York City, the Q4 Hotel is really a hostel, with dorm rooms and private rooms. Probably the cheapest option in the Big Apple.

Located about 2 blocks from the Queensboro Plaza stop, which is the closest subway stop. So a quick walk to the subway, which will either take you further into Queens, or right into Manhattan. The subway track does pass by the hostel building, which can be an issue in itself. More on that later. Need to get on either the 7, N or Q subway trains to the stop. There is not much in terms on signage, depending on which way you are coming. From the Queensboro Plaza stop, just have to go along Queens Plaza North, crossing 29th St to get to the hostel building.

Oh boy, where do I begin? I stayed in 2 different types of rooms, which were the 6-bed dorm room and the one with 8 beds. And they both gave me opposite experiences, as I think the summer heat wave made these differences more glaring. Had I only stayed in the 6-bed room, I would have given this place 4 stars. And if only the 8-bed room, only 1 star. Here are 3 differences between the 2 types of dorm rooms:

1. Space – The 6-bed room has a lot more room, while the 8-bed room is very cramped. As if trying to fit in as many beds as possible. Making the 8-bed room looking worse, is the fact that there are only 6 lockers. That in itself, is not a good sign. But that is only the beginning.

2. Outlets – Each bed in the 6-bed room has outlet for each one, even for the upper bunk beds. But not the case with the 8-bed room, with far fewer outlets, and none at the top. And even worse, some of those outlets are blocked by mattresses that cannot be moved. So good luck trying to re-charge your devices.

3. Air-conditioner (AC) – If you are considerate like myself, in an 8-bed room, you keep it off, if the room is filled up. That is because the air-conditioner is placed directly above one of the beds. And someone sleeping under it, while it’s on, can make someone sick. As a result of being considerate, I have to suffer in the hot room, with the AC off. But with the 6-bed room, no worries there, as the AC is placed right by the lockers, and away from the beds. During the summer months, you WILL need the air-conditioner on.

In both types of dorm rooms, each one has a private toilet room and shower, as separate rooms in themselves. The shower is basically a stall, with hardly any room for privacy. And there are not enough hooks to hang your clothes or other items. So privacy will be difficult, along with hoping your clothes don’t get wet.

The kitchen and common area are really nice, and even bigger than I would have expected. And kept pretty clean. And a good place to hang out, and probably the only other place to charge your devices. But there are no laundry services within the building, which is a negative to me. And does not seem to have any laundry places nearby.

The staff are okay and helpful. I understand that their hands are tied, so I won’t hold the dorm issues against them. But I did hold it against management, who I sent an e-mail, but yet to hear back.

As I mentioned earlier, the subway track is elevated and runs by the building. As the trains runs 24 hours, that could mean noise that might make it difficult for some to sleep. It did not bother me at all, so I don’t hold that, against the hostel.

Overall, I think this place is a mixed bag. The 8-bed room was an awful experience, while the 6-bed room was a nice one. So I would only stay at this place again, if in the 6-bed room. Either that, or stay outside of the summer months, when I don’t need the AC to be on.
hostel building
entrance to hostel
8-bed dorm room
bathroom with sliding door
hanleyscot says:
Yeah, I know what you mean. I always hesitate to write a bad review. I mean I know it's just my opinion but sometimes I have to take a step back and look at the bigger picture and think about whether sometimes even other non-related things might be skewing my judgment. Fortunately my experiences with traveling have almost always been positive so I don't have to think about it too often.
WalterC says:
It is one of the cheapest and located close to a subway stop, and gotten mostly good reviews, which is why I chose it. Especially in an expensive city like New York. Any other time of year, I would give it 4 stars, and more likely felt very differently.
hanleyscot says:
I guess for me it really depends on how much it cost. I don't really have high expectations for hostels even though they are usually way nicer than I expect.

Check Long Island City Hotel Deals