Pyongyang Metro

Pyongyang, North Korea

Pyongyang Metro Reviews

Pyongyang Metro – Taking a Ride (II of III) Feb 12, 2017
In my separate review – Pyongyang Metro - Background (1 of III) I have outlined the history and extent of the Metro and in my next review Pyongyang Metro – Artwork (III of III) I introduce the reader to artwork found in many of the stations (on the platforms).

Having made our way to the end of the escalator we arrived onto to platform of Puhong Station.

A ride on the metro/underground in most places is a means of getting from A to B for the average tourist. Not so in Pyongyang where the Metro and, indeed, all forms of public transport is strictly of limits to the tourist. Here visitors are taken for a ride on the Metro primarily to let them see the ornate platforms and artwork.

I will cover the platforms and the artwork in my next review but a bit more about our ride before that!

Typically tourists only used to get to visit two stations and just ride the train between these stations. In recent years access has been extended.

We struck it lucky and actually used the Metro to specifically get to somewhere we needed to go to – the Kim Il-sung Stadium, from which we were going on a tour of the Pyongyang Marathon course, by bus, for the benefit of those of us running it the following morning. This entailed traversing six stops from Puhung (Revitalization) Station to Kaeson (Triumph) Station outside the Stadium, on the Chollima line. In addition to viewing the first and last stations we also stopped at the very beautiful Yonggwang (Glory) Station.

As metro rides go, our rides were as smooth and fast as the London Tube but without the need to ‘mind the gap’.

While there are a number of train sets in use (mostly second hand imports) the majority of those currently seen/used by tourists are vintage German sets. These trains have had all advertising removed and have been repainted in a green and red livery though apparently if you look carefully (I didn’t know to look) you can see former German graffiti though the paint. Not surprisingly, no graffiti has been added since and the trains and carriages both presented well, despite their age. On the platforms the trains are controlled and attended to by young ladies who, while not as colourful or famous as their above ground traffic lady counterparts, are equally camera shy hence my rather blurry, hastily taken, pictures.

The interior of the two carriages we took had a dark wood laminate finish which made for a rather dark and dingy ride as only a light or two actually worked in each carriage. I am not sure if this was due to sloppy maintenance or if it was an energy saving measure. Whatever the reason, it did make me wonder about the authenticity of a comment our guide had made a little earlier. She had explained how she enjoyed riding the metro and how she could relax and read her book while doing so. Perhaps she carries a torch.

One thing we could see with no problem was the pictures of former leaders Kim Il-sung and Kim Jong-il prominently displayed above the forward end door in each carriage.

It is often written that those riding the Pyongyang Metro are actors engaged to give the illusion that this is a real transport system and that, in reality, no-one uses it. This is rubbish – the people in the carriages I was in and the people I saw on the platforms and in the stations were ordinary everyday people going somewhere on a Saturday afternoon. In fact, based on the six stations I passed through the system appears busy (but not crowded) and trains seem to be running at intervals of less than five minutes. If that were not proof enough that this is a real transport system, the following day prior to entering the stadium for the Marathon we hung around outside for maybe thirty minutes. During this time thousands of people came out of the adjacent Metro station and made their way into the stadium. If that was just put on for us then it was some show!

The Metro carries between 300,000 and 500,000 commuters on a daily basis.

Certainly our Metro ride was an interesting and rewarding experience, all the more so just because it was on the Pyongyang Metro.
Puhung Station Platform
All Aboard!
Pyongyang Metro – Train Interior
Pyongyang Metro – A Set in Every…
Pyongyang Metro - Background (I of III) Feb 12, 2017
The Pyongyang Metro was built between 1969 and 1973 (though most stations opened somewhat later) and officially consists of two lines set at a depth of over 100 metres below street level making it the deepest metro system in the world. Only St Petersburg challenges this assertion.

In recent years the authorities have finally admitted that the system doubles as a bomb shelter. Many eternal observers still believe that it is primarily a bomb shelter under the guise of a metro system. I will let the reader draw their own conclusion but, based on my observations, I am satisfied that it is a bone fide metro system used by commuters (more below).

On the two lines there are a total of 17 stations, one of which, due to its location by what is now the Kumsusan Palace of the Sun – the two Kim’s Mausoleum, is now closed. The two lines intersect at one point near the Kim Il-sung Stadium.

Unlike other metro systems, station names in Pyongyang bear no relationship to their geographical locations – instead, here you will find stations with such revolutionary names as Reunification, Paradise, Golden Soil, Victory and Comrade.

The Metro stations are, externally, very similar. My first picture is of Kaesŏn (Triumph) station located adjacent to the Kim Il-sung Stadium. This was our last stop on the short ride we took on the Metro. The picture below is of ‘another metro station’ we passed on a separate outing.

The stations, at street level, are small. There being no shops, offices or other facilities in them, they are little more than a covered entrance to a very long escalator which takes you on your 100 metres descent to the platform. The Puhung (Revitalisation) station which we used to to enter they system is ornately decorated with marble, intricately crafted cornices and a quite stunning ceiling decoration.

I actually didn’t notice anywhere to acquire tokens/tickets for the train though passengers did appear to have them as they entered through the rather flimsy looking ticket barriers. We, tourists, passed through a separate entrance to the left of the barriers though as you can see from my picture we could have easily walked through without a token/ticket but naturally that was not permitted! While we didn’t have to pay, a ride on the metro costs 5 Won (2014) or US$0.03, possibly the cheapest metro ride in the world.

I indicated earlier that there are ‘officially’ two lines on the Pyongyang Metro and indeed this is what is shown on all Metro maps including the electronic board in each station. Many external sources maintain that there are four lines and that the total system is around twice the size of that officially acknowledged. Supposedly the other two lines connect the system to key military, party and government locations within the city, with a possible link to the airport. One of the pieces of evidence put forward to support the existence of these additional lines is the contention of experts in this sort of thing that when the original rolling stock (engines and carriages) was acquired from China, double the amount necessary for the operation of the two official lines was procured.

Unsurprisingly, I was not able to verify the existence of these additional lines and if I had been able to do so I probably would not have had internet access in my prison cell to tell you about it! I don’t know, but if they do exist Pyongyang would not be unique as such secret (and not so secret) tunnels and underground communication channels exist in cities everywhere.

Having admired the Puhung Station it was time to take the escalator into the bowels of the earth.
Kaeson (Triumph) Metro Station
Pyongyang Metro – Electronic Rou…
‘Another Metro Station’
Puhung (Revitalisation) Station
Pyongyang Metro – The Artwork (III of III) Feb 12, 2017
Anyone who has visited the Moscow Metro will understand where the inspiration for the Pyongyang Metro artwork/decoration came from. Indeed, the whole Metro is modeled on the Moscow one. What I saw in the Pyongyang Metro was socialist realist art at its best – in the form of mosaic murals, metallic reliefs and statues.

While it is a great experience to actually take a ride on the Pyongyang Metro the real treat (and why they let you see the Metro at all) is to be able to admire the station platforms and the artwork thereon. Of the six stations we had access to, the artwork in three – Puhung (Revitalization), Yonggwang (Glory) and Kaesŏn (Triumph) was absolutely stunning, irrespective of its obvious political intent. The other three we passed through, while having some artwork, were not as stunning though I do recall catching a glimpse of a nice statue in one of them, presumably of Kim Il-sung.

My first two pictures, attached, were taken on the platform in Puhong Station where our short Metro journey began. Picture 1, a mosaic mural of a smiling, sun drenched Kim Il-sung and his happy followers fills the back wall of the platform while the second picture looks back towards the platform entrance and shows some of the beautiful chandeliers to be found in the Metro. You will also note, in this picture, that the tunnel walls, typically covered with advertising elsewhere, are here lined with marble and colourful patriotic and revolutionary mosaic murals.

You will note stands on the centre of the platform in picture 2 – these display current editions of local newspapers and are found in all Metro stations and many other public places around the city. The masses need free and easy access to the ‘news’.

Yes, all those people in this picture are tourists – the locals don’t dilly dally on the platform taking photographs and, unlike us, were permitted to exit the station without a guide – my, what freedom they have!

My next picture, taken at Kaeson Station, is of a revolutionary inspired mosaic mural, typical of those lining the tunnel walls in all the stations we stopped in.

Our next stop, and the second station on the Chollima line (one of two lines), was the particularly beautiful Yonggwang Station. The platform here platform is lined, on both sides, with gorgeous marble columns and has murals all along both sides on the tunnel walls. The other highlights here are the chandeliers and the recently installed massive mosaic mural of Kim Jong-il just visible in the next picture at the end of the platform.

From here we moved on to Kaeson Station, passing through Ponghwa (Torch/Beacon), Sŭngri (Victory) and T’ŏngil (Reunification) stations as we did.

My final picture is of a large statue of the Greater Leader, Kim Il-Sung, holding his hand out to his beloved people in Kaeson Station.

Certainly not your average Metro/Subway platforms!
Puhung Station
Puhung Station
Kaeson Station – Mosaic Mural
Yonggyang Station Platform
Airportman Airportm…
Subway system in North Korea's capital May 01, 2010
I've visited the Moscow subway system and found the stations very beautiful, decorated with marble, figures and paintings.

The 2 stations I visited of the Pyongyang Metro, were equally beautiful. Colourful chandeliers, marble columns and of course murals of the Great Leader Kim Il Sung, as well as sights of Pyongyang and other places in North Korea.

The subway trains looked like squared tubes, painted red & green and very out of date. I took a ride between stations. To cut power, the lights were off during the ride.

Inside, the trains furniture was of wood and of course, the pictures of both leaders were not missing.

The ride was free, although I did see local people pay for the ride. According to our guide Mr. Kim, for 5 won people can buy a token which they can use to get to any destination.

This is something you must see, if only for the beautiful looking subway stations.

(Note: pictures that show a * haven't been taken by me)
Subway station map
The platform of Puhung Station
* Control booth
* Conductress
Airportman says:
It was fun :)
Posted on: Dec 12, 2010
Dr_Seuss says:
Sounds more fun than a Ghost Train in the dark :)
Posted on: Dec 12, 2010

Related Travel Blogs About Pyongyang Metro

Mountains, monuments and the Pyongyang metro
September 1, 2007Hotel: YanggakdoToday was another full day of touring.  Woke up early again this morning to walk around outside the hotel.  There was a stream running by that had amazingly…Pyongyang Metro.  I've been on the Moscow metro, which was built very deep in case of nuclear…
Day 6: Pyongyang, May 1st celebrations
We drove into Pyongyang and headed towards a park on Mt. Taesong, just outside the city in the northeast. At this park, the Taesongsan Funfair, we were able to walk around for about 1 hour to watch h…Pyongyang Metro for our next stop. Mr. Kim took us into the metro hall and explained us about the metro
Pyongyang Metro Map