Pylos

Pylos - Tzatziki, a yogurt dip
Pylos - Welcome to Pylos
Pylos - Lots of hanging pots on the ceiling
Pylos - Spanakopita, a delicious flaky filled pastry
Pylos - Entering Pylos.  This photo happened to be taken on Halloween and children in the East Village trick-or-treat at restaurants and shops.

Pylos New York Reviews

theodreed theodreed
Great place to go greek Feb 06, 2012
Pylos is a small restaurant tucked away in the East Village (7th st between 1st Ave & Ave A), with ceramic pots stuck to the ceiling.

I thought the decor was lovely (and romantic yet casual), and there was a nice communal table in the back, if you’re the type that enjoys sharing tables (I grew up doing that for Chinese brunch/dim sum every week). Our waitress was bubbly and charming – and she also recommended some great (and not the most expensive) wines for us, as most of the wines were Greek aka I’ve never heard of them before. For details of what we ate, check out my hungr-yee food blog.
I like the ceiling decor
ellechic says:
Will check this out! Thanks for the review!
Posted on: Feb 10, 2012
travelfan1963 travelfa…
A Piece of Greece in New York City Nov 02, 2009
Eating out in New York City can be expensive, but reasonably priced restaurants are available. One of my favorite restaurants, Pylos, offers excellent Greek food at prices that won't break the bank.

Located in the East Village in Manhattan, Pylos offers delicious food in a charming setting. Pylos, which is the root word in Greek for clay pots, is decorated with a ceiling of hanging pots. The restaurant seats roughly 40 to 50 people, including a large communal table which seats 10. Service is fast and friendly.

Both lunch/brunch and dinner are offered and I have tried both. One of my favorite options is to order several appetizers to share. The hot pita bread with tzatziki (a yogurt dip) is really satisfying and fills your stomach. You can almost feel the bread expand. I could easily make a meal of this as the bread is so, so good. The garides ouzo (shrimp with ouzo) is fresh with a tangy ouzo and tomato sauce. The spanakopita is a wonderful pastry filled with spinach, feta cheese and herbs.

The price for three appetizers and two glasses of wine is less than U.S. $50, which is competitive for Manhattan. Main courses run roughly U.S. $15-$20 each. Cookbooks are also for sale.

The only downside I can think of to Pylos is that getting to the East Village by subway is not easy. The closest line is the L train to 1st Avenue, which will be a few blocks walk.

Pylos' food is Greek cooking at its very best. It's a taste of Greece in New York City.
Welcome to Pylos
Lots of hanging pots on the ceiling
A view inside Pylos