Pusser's New York Bar

089/220500

Pusser's New York Bar Munich Reviews

Chokk Chokk
A wonderful little gem Aug 02, 2011
When I left my hotel I passed Pusser's New York Bar on my way out into the city center of Munich, which turned out to be just around the corner of the hotel. As soon as I passed it I promised myself that I was going to visit it on the way back from town; just the name sounded crazy enough in Danish Pusser is something you call your sweetheart.

The outside of the bar did not look like something special so I was quite curios what was hiding behind the dark shaded windows. It looked really dodgy from outside and its location; hidden on a quiet side street off the upscale strip where my hotel by the way also was situated didn’t make it a prime bar to visit. I entered the heavy dark wooden door and expected everything from a bar to a strip club behind it.

I was really pleasantly surprised as I entered; it was a nice dark New York style cocktail bar with two all dressed up waiters. The bar was quite empty but that was normal during the summer holiday they told me. I ordered a Jack Rose just to test them and they managed to nail it.

It was a great atmosphere bar and bringing me far from all the beers of Munich and what I needed after an evening of them and German food. After having tasted a couple of their drinks I went for their signature tipple, which is the Pusser's Painkiller, a potent mix of rum, orange juice, coconut, pineapple, and nutmeg. The drink was okay but next time I would ask them to hold back on the nutmeg.

The bar is American-owned and the owner Bill Deck opened it back in 1974, with the goal of presenting and preserving the culture of the classic American bar in Germany. The bar’s name derives from the famous Pusser’s Rum, the original Navy rum. I was hang around in the bar so I talked to especially one of the bartenders; he was Japanese and had entered the joy of bar life after finishing his master in finance and accounting in both Germany and four years in the states. He was a funny and happy guy that now loved the barlife.
A Jack Rose in Pusser's New York B…
The sign outside in the street
Inside in the bar