Puri Santrian

Puri Santrian Rates and Deals

Puri Santrian Bali Reviews

sarahsan sarahsan
Arrogant and unprofessional Aug 23, 2012
I had come back to Sanur after an East Indies Seatrek and wanted to treat myself to a nice resort on my last days in Bali. From a TB member I had heard that Puri Santrian was a good place to stay. The hotel was located in south Sanur, right on the beach.

I arrived in a taxi and experienced a not too friendly welcome. The taxi was stopped by a security person at the start of the driveway. A mirror was pushed under the taxi. Then the driver had to open the trunk and my bag was checked. Then the glove compartment was emptied. When nothing suspicious was found we were allowed to continue the few meters to the entrance. The taxi driver smiled and said that they were looking for bombs. It is now 10 years since the bombing in Kuta, but they are still paranoid about it! With this behaviour, no wonder they scare away tourists.

I was greeted by a receptionist with a very stiff smile. Have never understood why the check-in procedures at fancy resorts are so much more complicated than in cheap hotels. I had to sit down in the lounge while the staff checked my credit card and my passport. Did they think I was a criminal? After waiting for about 10 minutes he came over to the lounge and gave me my key and a lot of different cards, “passports” etc, which I needed to get access to the business lounge, to get a beach towel etc. He stressed that I could only get ONE towel since I only had one hotel ID card. Finally he stressed how kind they were to give me the room at 11:30 am, since check in wasn’t until 2 pm.

My room was located right in front of one of the pools. The room was tastefully decorated with marble floor and elegant dark wooden furniture. A large comfortable four poster bed was placed in the middle of the room. It was a small sofa and a large flat screen TV there as well. The TV had plenty of international channels. The AC worked well and I enjoyed the tea/coffee making facilities. It was lovely with a cup of tea early in the morning on my balcony. The mini bar had water, soft drinks and beer, but no glasses. As a welcome gesture I got a small fruit basked, but no cutlery. How can you peel an apple without a knife? There was no WI-FI in the rooms. You can only get on internet in the reception and in the business lounge, but it didn´t work too well. If you don´t have your own laptop there are two computers in the business lounge and one in the reception, but they worked extremely slow and you were asked to limit your use to 15 minutes. In the evenings the reception was packed with people with their laptops! My mobile phone had no network coverage within the hotel area, but as soon as I got out on the road I was connected.

The bathroom was divided in two rooms, one with toilet, shower and a tub and the other one with a washbasin and a wardrobe. It was plenty of space for luggage and a large wardrobe, but no selves. Would be nice to have everything in one place and not having to run back and forth between the rooms to get your cloths! Sheets and towels were changed every day, but the bathroom was not cleaned in the 5 days I stayed there. The same hair in the drainage in the shower was there for my entire stay.

There were three pools in the hotel, one in front of my room , one for children and one large one by the beach. The only problem was to get a deck chair. The day I arrived every single one was occupied. The next morning I was up around 9 am, most of the deck chairs had already been taken, not by people, but by towels and books. Even when I went down to the pool at 8 am, half of the deck chairs had been taken. Some of these people didn´t arrive until 10:30 am. It was a ridiculous race every day. If you weren´t up very early, you could forget about a deck chairs on the beach. Talking about the beach, it was narrow, sloping and in the shadow half of the day.

At USD 157 pr night breakfast was not included. If you book with breakfast included at their website, they charge USD 25 extra + 21% tax. My advice is to wait until you check in. At the hotel they only charge USD 15 + 21% tax for the buffet breakfast.

On my last day I decided to have lunch at the beach restaurant. I arrived and two waiters were just staring at me. Finally I seated myself. After 4 waiters had passed me, the 5th asked if I had ordered. I had to admit that no one had brought me a menu. He then answered: “yeah, yeah, yeah” and left. I was far from impressed by the service at this hotel. It was not only in the restaurant. One afternoon when I went to the pool attendant to return my beach towel, I said “hello, how are you” when I approached him. His answer was “what´s your room number” and it was without a smile! The staff was arrogant, unprofessional and seems to have an attitude. Even in the business lounge you could see how much it cost the lady to smile. I didn´t see any of them smile with their eyes!

One evening when I walked back from having dinner, I was stopped by a security guy in the drive way who asked me "Where are you going"?. I said that I was going to the hotel. Then he continued the questioning if I was staying at Puri Santrian. Didn´t know that I looked suspicious. What an unfriendly way to treat your guests!

Puri Santrian offers a nice looking spa, but prices are very steep. Even more expensive than in my own country, and Norway is expensive. There are also yoga classes for an hour in the morning and in the afternoon, but you have to sign up the day before, so no drop in classes!

Puri Santrian really has potentials, but the staff ruins the whole experience. The interior was nice and the gardens were lovely, but they need to shape up on their attitude and cleanliness. It wasn´t just my rooms that was dirty, but also the pools. They were very eager to picking up flowers etc floating in the pool, but the suntan lotion floating on the surface was never cleaned.

I had asked in the reception if they could book transfer for me when I was going to the airport on my last day. They confirm this and informed that it would cost USD 12. On my last night when I booked it, I was told that I would be charge USD 20. I pointed out the first price I had been given and the reception guy said that it was USD 12 if I paid the driver directly! So I did!!!!!!

Even if Puri Santrian looks nice at first glance, I can´t recommend this resort. A place, which charge USD 157 for the cheapest room can´t afford to have staff with such an attitude and arrogance, who make you feel unwelcome and uncomfortable. They call themselves a 4* hotel, but offer 1* service. Puri Santria wants to be an exclusive resort, but they will never make it as long as they are so unprofessional. They also lack the small details (eg. fruit without cutlery, minibar, but no glasses). It is definitely not value for money and I will not stay there again.
Room 174
Would be nice with pillow cases, w…
jenniferhibbard says:
Congratulations on being featured-not a nice experience at Puri Santrian, unfortunately!!
monky says:
Congrats on your latest featured review Sarah! though not nice to see your experience there!:D
Dr_Seuss says:
Nice to see you featured again Sarah :)

Puri Santrian Overview

The Sanur area of Bali is directly opposite the busy western coastal town of Kuta. Though the two share the same beautiful natural features, it is Sanur that maintains a far more peaceful and slow-paced environment. The Puri Santrian Hotel in Bali resides along its own stretch of private beach in the Sanur region and yet allows guests only a short commute to the busier tourist areas of Kuta or Nusa Dua if desired.

The Puri Santrian Hotel is located at Jalan Danau Tamblingan 63 in Sanur.

There are a wide variety of rooms, suites and bungalows available, and each provides guests with garden views, private terraces or balconies, direct dial phones, satellite TV and many other luxury amenities.

Guests of the hotel can enjoy two large beach side swimming pools, two restaurants and lounges, cooking classes, water sports which include jet skis, snorkeling and even the signature “Sea Walker” experience which provides guests with a diving bubble that requires no previous experience to enjoy, a comprehensive spa offering beauty and massage treatments, and many more options.

Puri Santrian Amenities

• Audio/Visual Equipment
  • Massage
  • Body Treatments
  • Facial Treatments
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Shower