Pumpkin Festival

Circleville, Ohio

Pumpkin Festival Circleville Reviews

PhinsAndGills PhinsAnd…
Oct 22, 2007
I've lived in Ohio my entire life and decided that it was time to start checking out some of the festivals around this great state. I'd heard all kinds of things about the Circleville pumpkin show, and we decided to go down.

First of all, know this, traffic is BAD. If you don't know a back way into town and take the main route off the highway (Route 23 south of Columbus), you're going to sit in traffic a LONG time. I talked to many people who went down on different days at different times and they said it's bad every day, all day. Just be prepared and have the gas to sit and wait.

And in all those cars are a mass of people. The streets are absolutely PACKED. There are hundreds of vendors from junk food to pumpkin cannolli; from flashing necklaces to hand blown glass pumpkins; and ALL things pumpkin. It's almost impossible to see it in a couple hours for two reasons: 1. it's a huge festival, and 2. it's completely packed. If you're not a crowd lover, you might want to avoid this show or go very early in the day.

Things I ate:

1. pumpkin chili

2. pumpkin roll

3. pumpkin cake

4. pumpkin blossom flowers (deep fried)

5. elk burger (I had to have something non-pumpkin)

6. pumpkin ale

Things I bought:

1. felt pumpkin hat

2. bag of gourds

3. pumpkins (duh)

4. handmade earrings (parrots, but I thought about pumpkins)

5. personalized Christmas ornaments

Things I learned:

1. pumpkins can weigh over 1000 lbs.

2. they once made a mold in the shape of a head that you could put a small pumpkin (on the vine) into and it would grow into this really creepy head-pumpkin. ew.

3. pumpkins taste good in chili

4. the people of Circleville are very friendly

5. I look good with a pumpkin on my head

6. I can make my own blown glass stuff in Columbus

7. ANY parade that involves the Chillicothe Hillbilly Club is a good thing.

8. There's a Moonshine festival in Ohio and there's a Moonshine Queen (and she was surprisingly attractive. I pictured a moonshine queen as ... well ... having less teeth?)

9. The Circleville Elks club pin is a little pumpkin (I'm our Elks Lodge organist)

We had a great time. I hope to go to more festivals next summer and write up all about them. Dummy me forgot my camera but I found these pictures from the website: http://www.pumpkinshow.com/
That's one big pumpkin.
These people know how to grow 'em.

Check Circleville Hotel Deals