Pumping gas in Oregon

Medford, Oregon

Pumping gas in Oregon Medford Reviews

X_Drive X_Drive
Jun 10, 2002
Being from California I was not ready for what I found in Oregon. I pulled in to a gas station that looked just like the self-serve stations of California. But when I got out to pump my own gas a young gentleman stopped me and informed me that in Oregon state law requires that an employee must be the person to pump the gas into any vehicle. He didn’t wash my windows or offer to check my oil or the air in my tires. He was just there to put the nozzle into your car and start the pump and then remove it when the pump shut off. Talk about a boring job. As I have since learned, there are more than one state with this kind of law, New Jersey being another.
binky says:
Yeah, I had that happen. I had some friends living in Vancouver, Washington and the first time I went to a gas station there I was so embarrassed. I sat in the car for 5 minutes waiting for an attendant. Finally someone spotted my Oregon plates and told me I had to pump my own. He had showed me how! It still freaks me out when I have to do it!
Posted on: Nov 16, 2007
PDXDUS says:
It's only to create jobs...I live in Oregon and I remember the first time driving out of state, I had no idea how to pump my own gas! I had to ask someone to help...sheesh how embarrassing aye! I have a picture in my profile of me pumping gas in Virginia, its such a novelty that I usually get someone to take my photo! Yep, I'm a geek but hey I don't get to do it often so its fun!
Posted on: Jul 08, 2007
londonstudent says:
I used to do that as a holiday job! I suspect that self-service pumps, like most innovations, were common in the USA long before they appeared in Britain. I wonder if the legal requirement is a health and safety issue? I remember having to tell people to extinguish their cigarettes or pipes before I could fill their tanks, and you can't stop people from smoking if they are filling their tanks themselves.
Posted on: Jun 15, 2007