Puka Dog

2301 Kuhio Avenue # 2, Waikiki, HI, USA
Puka Dog - That says a lot. :P
Puka Dog - Ordering your Puka Dog.
Puka Dog - Me being like a tourist w/ my puka dog.
Puka Dog - Before biting my Puka Dog. I know, it looks kinda weird. :P

Puka Dog Waikiki Reviews

nanipu nanipu
Love the tropical condiments but a bit overpriced for a dog Jun 20, 2010
I finally got to try a Puka Dog! I remember seeing Puka Dog featured on the Travel Channel when there was only one location (on Kauai) and I wanted to try one because of their interesting relish and mustard flavors. Now there is one location on Oahu at the back of the International Marketplace in Waikiki.

Puka means "hole" in Hawaiian. What they do is poke a puka (hole) in bread, insert the dog and put in your condiments of your choice. The relish flavors they have are mango, pineapple, coconut, papaya, banana and star fruit. The mustard flavors they have are lilikoi and guava.

I chose mango relish and lilikoi mustard. I will say that taking that first bite was great. It was so good! Was it worth the price? Probably not, but should try it at least once. I did joke to the cashier if there is kama`aina discount (locals discount) and there is. Even after the discount, it was still a bit overpriced to me.
That says a lot. :P
Ordering your Puka Dog.
Me being like a tourist w/ my puka…
mrgishi mrgishi
Tropical Hot Dogs? Mar 11, 2008
Puka Dog has been featured on the Food Network and the Travel Channel. It's actually from Kaua'i, but I went to one of their newest locations in Waikiki. What makes Puka Dog different is that they take a bun before it is split and "drill" a hole down the middle. Then they insert the dog and the toppings and heat it all together. It is unbelievable how good it is. You wouldn't think the combinations would work so well, but they do in my opinion. First you choose your dog, Polish sausage or vegetarian. Then you choose your garlic sauce. They have four types that start with basic lemon-garlic and then three others that range in spiciness from jalapeno to habanera. Then you choose your tropical fruit relish. They have six of these, which include mango, pineapple, coconut, papaya, banana, and even star fruit. Lastly, you choose your condiment, which really should be either guava mustard or lilikoi (passion fruit mustard, but yes, they do have ketchup. I had jalapeno-garlic sauce, coconut relish and mango relish, and lilikoi mustard. It was so good that I would like to try to replicate the recipe.

Related Travel Blogs About Puka Dog

Last Day
On our last day, we just took it easy and drove around parts of O'ahu we had not yet seen.  We walked to downtown Waikiki to eat lunch at Puka Dog.  I had seen Puka Dog shown on the Food Ne…Waikiki to eat lunch at Puka Dog.  I had seen Puka Dog shown on the Food Network and the Travel…

Compare Honolulu Hotel Rates (4km away)

Puka Dog Map