Puerto de la Cruz de Tenerife

Puerto de la Cruz de Tenerife, Spain

Puerto de la Cruz de Tenerife Reviews

lilikoiLost lilikoiL…
Puerto de la Cruz de Tenerife Jun 14, 2015
I was using Tenerife as a spot to wait since it was still part of the EU, airfare to Tenerife was very reasonable, it was cheaper and warmer than the mainland, the people speak Spanish (also German and some English) and there was a lot to see and do on the island with very reasonably priced transportation

I was staying in a place on the other side of the island in Santa Cruz de Tenerife and then El Medano. A fellow AirBnBer from Germany ran into me at El Estacion de Los Guaguas in Santa Cruz de Tenerife and told me that he had really liked Puerto de la Cruz despite the fact there were so many Germans on that side of the island (I guess he went on vacation to get away from Germany).

Puerto de La Cruz turned out to be a pretty good deal as you can easily take the guagua (bus) from Tenerife Norte Aeropuerto to Puerto de la Cruz. There are plenty of taxis from el estacion de los guaguas in Puerto de la Cruz and they seemed to charge the same low rate no matter where they would drive you. I don't think I ever payed more than EUR 4 for a taxi while there.

The city is quite mountainous, but they have a very good pedestrian walkway system snaking it way through town past neatly painted and decorated homes, beautiful hidden gardens and lovely vistas. Going downhill is fine. Going uphill after being out and about all day was a bit tiring.

I really liked staying at the Hotel Don Candido. The staff was very friendly, the rooms were immaculate, the free internet was pretty dependable and the view from the rooftop was amazing. You could see most of the city and Mt. Teide from the rooftop. A small market was on the corner and the hotel also served breakfast in the mornings. Although they had a pool table and table tennis I never used those amenities. I did use the small pool by the dining area a few times.

From Hotel Don Candido it was an easy downhill walk to Lago Martianez through town and a promenade near the small shopping mall.

Lago Martianez has good surfing in the winter; the large, rather sloppy winter waves wrap around the rock jetty and create a smaller wave with a decent face that is quite surfable. In the summer, SUPs are preferred as there are small waves if any.

If you walk south along the waterfront to town there is a shopping area with many restaurants and a casino. A bit further you will find many divers and sunbathers near Piscinas Naturales. I liked eating at the Cafe on the cliff overlooking Piscinas Naturales.

There is a fort, a small harbor, if you keep walking and walking you will eventually get to Playa Jardin (nice black sand beach) and Loro Parque.

If you walk North, you will see a lot of lava tubes, walk long a rather busy road and eventually get to a farm with banana trees. I took a higher road walking back and found the launchpad for the kite surfers.

I found that not many people spoke English. Most people seemed to speak Spanish and German. Puerto de la Cruz was a nice place to stay if you want to explore Tenerife as the town was quite pretty and touristic, there is excellent guagua transportation to everywhere on the island...but I'll talk about that later.
Lago Martianez
Hotel Don Candido
Hotel Don Candido. I spent a lot …
Hotel Don Candido