Puente Nuevo

Puente Nuevo, Ronda, Spain

Puente Nuevo Ronda Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
Puente Nuevo Nov 13, 2013
The Puente Nuevo is the main reason you would visit Ronda. Started in 1751 and taking several decades to finish, it is one of the most impressive pieces of architecture I’ve ever seen, towering roughly 100m over the canyon floor.

The bridge was built to connect the two halves of the town of Ronda, either side of the Tajo gorge. It is the third bridge across the Tajo, but the other two are much smaller, older and further down the hill. The location of the Puente Nuevo (New Bridge) right at the deepest point of the gorge is what gives it its drama and makes it such a major draw.

Apart from marvelling at it as a work of engineering, the Puente Nuevo attracts students of Spanish history and fans of Hemingway’s literature. Hemingway dramatized the bridge as the site of executions in the Spanish Civil War, based on allegations that both sides threw people off the bridge as a way of executing enemies and of terrorising opposition.

You can see the bridge for free from numerous viewpoints and gardens along both sides of the gorge. There is a small visitor centre, costing a couple of Euros, with a small display about the history of Ronda and the Bridge, but to be honest I would skip that. Crossing the bridge is free both on foot and for vehicles. Most visitors come up on day trips from the coast, but if you stay in town you can take some time to watch sunset behind the mountains from the bridge, which is spectacular, and explore some of the pretty gardens and squares throughout Ronda.
rsvpme says:
Congratulations on the feature..well done !
Posted on: Nov 22, 2013
vulindlela says:
Posted on: Nov 22, 2013
travelcanuck travelca…
Puente Nuevo- Not 'just' a Bridge Oct 03, 2011
I heard mixed reviews about visiting Puente Nuevo, fellow travellers saying "A must see man-made structure", "It's not worth it, there's nothing there but a bridge" and so on. Luckily, I am the type of person that likes to see things for myself because as we all know some unforgettable sights and attractions for some are other's waste of time and disappointments. When I started walking across the bridge I remembering feeling disappointed, there was nothing there but a nice view, no massive beams keeping the bridge up that i could see, I didn't even realize I was on a bridge. That was until.............. I took the trek down to see the bridge from a side angel. WOW WOW WOW! is all I have to say, it is incredible. I sent my parents pictures and the first thing my Dad said was "That reminds me of Lord of the Rings". The bridge was built in 1793 and took something like 40 years to build. I heard at one point there was a a torture chamber under the bridge arch during the Civil War but there is no proof. Regardless of it's history, this structure is incredible. My friends and I wen't to watch the sunset and if you can swing this I would suggest you do the same :) ENJOY
Puente Nuevo
Puente Nuevo view
So excited to be here ... we were …
davidx davidx
A rightly famous gorge Nov 10, 2010
By and large the interior of Andalucia does not flaunt itself to the millions who stay on the Costa del Sol. Howeevr from almost anywhere on the coast there are trips to the great cities of Cordoba, Sevilla and Granada - and to the much smaller city of Ronda.

The three larger cities' main appeal lies in historical buildings - great ones - but Ronda's appeal lies in its setting on a hilltop with a stupendous ravine, 'el Tajo.' The 'New Bridge,' actually over 200 years old, spans the ravine and conects the old city with the new.

I have three times walked down into the ravine and marvelled at its scenery and once I have sat almost below the bridge with a glass of wine,
El Tajo, Ronda

Related Travel Blogs About Puente Nuevo

The majestic town of Ronda retains much of its historic charm. Despite being Andalucía's fastest-growing town - it overtook Córdoba in the big three Andaluz tourist attractions, behind Sevilla an…Puente Nuevo 'new' bridge, which straddles the 100m chasm below, for its unparalleled views out over the Serranía de Ronda
Town & Country
The drive to Ronda was great, albeit hilly, rugged and barren. It was also cooler than our couple of previoussouthern stops, being a mere thirty three degrees in the shade! We stopped at a stray, roa…Puente Nuevo ‘new’ bridge, which straddles the one hundred metre chasm below, for its unparalleled views out over the Serranía de Ronda

Check Ronda Hotel Deals