Public transport in Melbourne

Flinders St Station, Melbourne, Australia

Public transport in Melbourne Reviews

bula_niki bula_niki
Metcards being Replaced by Myki Apr 07, 2012
Something to bear in mind with Melbourne transport is that the metcards (tickets that you can buy at stations, on the tram or at newsagents) are being replaced with Myki cards. These cards cost $5-$10 (depending on where and when you buy them) and you have to put money on them to travel; similar to the oyster cards in London or octopus cards in Hong Kong.

This will come into place at the end of 2012 (supposedly).

In the meantime, I recommend using metcards for as long as possible. If you buy a 10x 2 hour metcard, available from newsagents, it works out cheaper than buying 5 daily tickets. You simply validate your card whenever you get in a tram/bus/train. Once your first 2 hour fare has expired, a second is used, and this covers you until 3am (i.e. 2 of your 2 hour fares= 1 daily fare, but is cheaper than a daily metcard).

If you travel after 6pm, a 2 hour ticket is valid until 3am :).

You can also buy 5x weekend metcards (only available on the metlink website, or at newsagents and some train stations), which covers travel on Saturdays and Sundays in zones 1 and 2. There is also a single Sunday Saver ticket, which you can only use on Sundays for zones 1 and 2. These are pretty cheap, and work out to about $3 for a full day of travelling.
Clarafina Clarafina
Public transport in Melbourne Sep 10, 2012
Public transport in Melbourne is fairly good - we have trams, trains and buses.

The ticketing is done via the Myki system; and you can buy these at train stations, from newsagents and milk bars, or online.

All trams (and the buses and trains up to certain stops/stations) are within Zone 1, which is the cheapest. If you want to head further out, you'll have to pay more. There is also V-line network which heads to regional areas of Victoria, and trains leave from Southern Cross Station (the main inner-city station is Flinders St Station, on the corner of Flinders + Swanston St).
gimpel says:
I used the public transport in perth, i found that very fine to use.
Posted on: Sep 10, 2012
Good to know!! :)
Posted on: Feb 11, 2009
nuance nuance
City Circle Tram (Free Tour) May 06, 2011
Its TRUE, the tram is really free. If you're new to Melbourne, get started by jumping on the City Circle Tram. You just have to check at designated tram stops that the number 35 stops there.

This tram circles both way around the city center with stops approximately every 500 metres. With a virtual tour guide, its the easiest way to see all major attractions of the city center without paying a cent!

Happy Touring
williamsworld says:
Great, I guess I know how I will spend my first day
Posted on: May 09, 2011

Related Travel Blogs About Public transport in Melbourne

Saturday night in Melbourne: 4 clubs and tons of fun :)
I was lucky and my flight wasn't delayed, which usually happens with Tiger, pffff. My friend wouldn't be at home, but the time I arrive, but she arranged everything so I could leave my stuff, take a …Melbourne public transportation. Took the bus from the airport to the central statio and from there took a tram…
Disappointing Docklands
After a drive with an interesting moment where we had to stop to allow a herd of Friesian cows walk around the car, we arrived at the Travelodge Hotel in Melbourne’s Docklands (just west of the…Melbourne public transport, which is first-rate - but you have to get your head around it first, and it’s not that…
A long weekend (or two) in... Melbourne!
I always knew I'd like Melbourne. As a born-and-bred Sydney girl, I always wondered about the rivalry between those two cities and, now living in Canberra, the prospect of good quality, good value fo…Melbourne's public transport system: trams, trains and buses, a good airport connection and free tram travel within the city…

Check Melbourne Hotel Deals