Public Transporation in Buenos Aires

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Public Transporation in Buenos Aires Reviews

HuBison HuBison
Buses and the subway can get you everywhere! Apr 08, 2012
I am not a bus person and for my trip in April 2012, my friend was responsible for the navigation. Where ever you stay, before you leave for the day, get all the buses that stop near your hotel or hostel. You are likely to get about 10-15 possibilities and this can be helpful if you wander all day and then have to decide how to get back to your hostel/hotel. Consider getting the routes or which buses are in different areas of interest, but there certainly are MANY MANY options.

I also prefer the subway when I travel as I am assured of where I will end up (buses turn and take detours and go off track). The subte (subway) is interesting and cuts off earlier than I am used to. The residents can get cards, but the program only began about 3 months ago and there aren't enough cards yet. You can buy tickets to take the subte if you know you are going to use them. We used them to get out and used the buses to come back in.

To use the buses, you have to carry around a lot of change for their ole school machines-it's so anitquated. Once you get on the buses, you have to move quickly and most machines give you change back. To use the subte, you insert you ticket into the front of the machine, pull it out from the top and then exit the system through a turnstile as well. Some of the lines are older than others with wooden cars while others have old crushed velvet seats and more space. Some fo the doors open before the train some to a complete stop, so I recommend that you don't lean against the doors. Once in a while, the doors won't open and you will have to manually open the doors before the train starts moving again-don't miss your stop.

It can get pretty crowded, so if you are not from a large city and don't like crowds, be weary of what time you take the subte.
Tinktinkie Tinktink…
Metro or Subte in Buenos Aires Jul 05, 2010
The metro or "subte" only runs in Buenos Aires Capital.There are in total 6 lines: A to E and H. Line A is the oldest line and they are currently building a new line which will run from Line A to Retiro. I am not sure when this line will be completed.

Line A is almost a tourist attraction in itself! They still use the old, wooden carriages. Some tourists only use Line A to experience this.

Tourists maps of Buenos Aires include information on the metro system. You will find it displayed on the walls in the metro stations. The Metro stations are marked on the outside at the entrance of the building. Each line has it's own colour for example Line A is in red etc.

You will find the ticket offices or Boleterias inside the metro station. Tickets are not expensive +- 1.50 pesos per ride. You pay per ride and it is not important where you go to.You can also buy tickets in bulk or buy a metro card.If I can remember correctly you can only buy 10 tickets at a time.

The Metro can be very crowded at times and I do suggest you avaoid the peak hours if possible.

The metro is open between 6am to 22.30pm.
Metro or Subte sign indicating the…
The Metro Map displayed on the wal…
The subte station in Buenos Aires.
The subte station in Buenos Aires.
Tinktinkie says:
It is a good system and it works! I don't like it when it is very crowded :(
montecarlostar says:
I remember using this system extensively when I was in B.A. :)
Tinktinkie says:
Yes the old Metro is really nice! I will have a look at your blog :)
yadilitta yadilitta
Public Transportation in Buenos Aires May 23, 2008
Well, the public transportation in Buenos Aires is good. You can either take a taxi, the metro or catch a bus.

Taxis: they are not expensive. Everything will depend on how long the ride takes. They are safe and most of the taxi drivers are friendly.

Metro: well known as "Subte", there are 5 big lines which can drive you to different parts of the city. It's cheap and the best thing is that you avoid the traffic. This is the oldest Metro in South America and line D is such a beauty. All made of wood.

Bus: know as "colectivos". There are different lines, which will drive you almost everywhere. But you can only pay them with coins. So save your change for them. There are bus stops, so it's easy to catch them.

You will need Pesos (local currency) for all of them.
clearviews clearvie…
Dec 28, 2005
The locals in BA love to help. Many times on the underground or catching buses we have been fairly confident we know where we are going, but have our street map in our hands. Invariably a local will stop and take us under their wing and shepherd us on to the train or bus.

Transport is cheap. Buses are 80 centemos and you must have coin to put in theticket machine situated behind the driver. Theunderground is even cheaper at 70 centemos and that ticket seems to be useable all day on any line.

Check Buenos Aires Hotel Deals