Public Bus to Halong Bay from Hanoi

Hanoi, Vietnam

Public Bus to Halong Bay from Hanoi Reviews

SushiRoller SushiRol…
Hanoi to Halong Bay by Public Bus Jul 25, 2011
I decided to ditch the Junk Boat Cruise and decided to do Halong Bay solo Style.

Since it was my first city in the country , i didnt want to pamper myself and wanted to do how the locals do it.

If like me you want to get to Halong Bay without Junk Boat trip already booked or just get there to see the city, here is what to expect.

If in town , you will have to take the bus form the main bus station which is located in Loung Yen Street just of the main Road Nguyen Khoai.

It's called Loung Yen Station.

I Arrived there 9 55, And was told that the bus would leave at 10:00 am. after paying for the ticket and boarding the bus behind the ticket booth, we had to wait until the bus was fully loaded (should have seen it coming).

Actual departure was at 10: 25 am.

Bus consistently picked up an dropped off people which made the trip longer and not only that , the bus co ordinater made sure that the bus was FULLY LOADED. That means everyseat and possibly people standing up for half way journey's.

We stopped at a rest stop, for 30 minutes. Everything was available at the rest stop at local prices.

After departure , and another 2 hours we finally got to our destination and reached the main bus stop.

NOW, pay attention. We stopped across the bus station, which looked like it was in the middle of nowhere, not only that no more than a handful of passengers actually got off.

puzzled and confused the bus drove before we were able to ask the driver ( we were sitting in the back). it was too late when we figured out that it was the bus station, and the bus dropped us off right before the bridge which leads to Hon Gay.

Motorists where already waiting out there like vultures, and came to offer us rides for me and my travelling companion. Due to some complications we took a taxi to our hotel in Bai Chay.

Would i do it again? Never. Free yourself of the hassle and take a direct bus form Hanoi.

Now for the damage calculations.

HAnoi:

Bus to Loung Yen 3000 VND

MOTO to Bus station in loung Yen 20 000 VND

TAXI To Loung Yen approx 60 000 VND

BUS ticket to Halong Bay 90 000 VND (its legit)

(lonely planet said 50k...go figure)

HAlong Bay:

MOTO Vultures at Halong Bay , Requested 60 000 VND, Brought it down to 30 000 VND.

TAXI TO Bai Chay form Bridge befoe hong Gay 100 000 VND

(approx prices if you get off at Bai Chay Bus Station)

Duration:

BUS to Loung Yen.......15 minutes

Moto or Taxi...........5 Minutes

BUS to Halong Bay......4 Hours (persistent drop offs and pick ups took time)

Departure Time: 10:00 a.m

Real Deaparture time: 10:25 a.m

Arrival TIme: 2:30 p.m

Comfortability:

Seats.................6/10 (okay)

Air Conditiong........5/10 (just enough not to sweat)

Road conditions.......4/10 (quite bad)

driving...............3/10 (really annoying)

Baggage will have to be placed in front if your late since these public buses pack up everything at the back in the middle and their storage for people sending their items to the buses destination.

Seating:

Whatever you do just dont pick a seat in the middle!

Relaibility:

Everything form time to spave in the bus and attitude towards passenger care......3/10 (Only if no other transportaion is available)

My Advice, totally not worth it. Avoid at all costs.
jacobi says:
Thanks for the info.
Posted on: Aug 18, 2016
clamdigger53 says:
TKS! Good to know!
Posted on: Oct 19, 2013
caloy_me says:
thank you very much for your posts about vietnam!!
Posted on: Nov 27, 2012