Protecting Your Passport and $$$ (scam)

Azerbaijan

Protecting Your Passport and $$$ (scam) Reviews

kokokannibal kokokann…
Making sure you can get home Mar 11, 2011
When bringing tickets and passports with you it is always a good idea to bring photocopies for spares. In doing this if your passport was lost or stolen (this goes for tickets too) you can still be able to travel.

Also don't forget insurance for valuables and other stuff as you never know when you might need medical attention abroad.
mickeyd302 mickeyd3…
Dec 09, 2007
If you are not already one of those people who has copies everything (i.e. IDs, credit cards, etc.) when traveling, it would be wise to have copies of your photo page and Azerbaijani visa when traveling around here.

While I have not had this scam attempted on me, I have heard stories of it from a Regional Security Officer in one of the embassies here. The scam is that an actual police officer will ask to see your passport and charge you a fee for the return of it. According to the RSO, the way to prevent the scam is to give copies of your photo page and visa page to the police officer and that should be sufficient as identification.

I have been here a year and a half and do not carry my passport with me, but I do have copies of my photo page and visa in my wallet. While I have been stopped by the police in Naxcivan for taking photos, I have never had anyone get upset with my copies.
tvillingmarit says:
Why do you not upload some of your photos, ex the one you took when the police stoped you?
Posted on: Dec 09, 2007
fluturas says:
Im still amazed about why police stopped u!!!lol
Posted on: Dec 09, 2007