Protea Hotel Breakwater Lodge

Protea Hotel Breakwater Lodge Rates and Deals

Protea Hotel Breakwater Lodge Cape Town Reviews

spocklogic spocklog…
Convenient Location in Cape Town Sep 05, 2011
I stayed at the Protea Hotels Breakwater Lodge in Cape Town, South Africa for two nights. This hotel had been recommended by some friends I was to meet up with in Bloemfontein after my stay in Cape Town. I wanted something that was reasonably priced and located near the V & A Waterfront. This hotel definitely fit my requirements for price and location, and I was also pleased with the hotel grounds and the quality of the rooms.

The hotel is located on the grounds of what was once a 19th century prison, the "Old Breakwater Prison". More information and history about this aspect can be found on the hotel website. It definitely does have a 19th century feel, especially with the castellated turrets and enclosed courtyard in which the hotel is located. The complex also houses the Graduate School of Business of the University of Cape Town. There was some construction going on when I visited, but this was mostly in the finishing phases and didn't disturb my visit.

The rooms themselves are quite modern and up to date. It has undergone a major renovation for the past couple of years, and it definitely shows. The room I stayed in was in one of the more recently refurbished parts. Comfortable, clean and well decorated. The staff are extremely friendly and quite helpful. There is little to complain about, except my pet peeve that there was no complimentary bottled water. I was informed that the tap water was drinkable, but I am always cautious about that. There is a snack and drink room located near the reception with vending machines for your needs.

The hotel has two restaurant facilities, an a la carte restaurant and cafe with views of Table Mountain and the Waterfront on an upper floor (Time-Out Cafe), and a self-service buffet style restaurant on the ground floor (Stonebreakers). I had a beer one night at the Time-Out Cafe and breakfast both mornings at Stonebreakers. They are decent places as far as hotel restaurant/cafe establishments go. One other feature that is nice about this hotel is that it is located quite near the "Hop on - Hop Off" Cape town City sightseeing ticket office (Stop #1 near Two Oceans Aquarium). This is the perfect place to begin a tour of Cape Town, so the hotel is ideally located here. I can definitely recommend a stay at the Breakwater Lodge.
One of the Castle Turrets at night