Prince of Wales Pub

Tridevi Marg, Kathmandu, Nepal

Prince of Wales Pub Kathmandu Reviews

tntgoeast tntgoeast
Nov 30, 2006
BORED: After eating Chaana Masala, Mushroom Paneer,Veg curries,vegetable samosas, and momos for the past couple of months,I got a terrible desire for good old British food.

LOCATION: I snook in to a corridor between souvenier shops and up some stairs to the 'Prince of Wales Pub', hungry and curious. If it wasn't for the whiteboard menu stood outside, I wouldn't have found it! It's on the same side of the roadthree shops away fromNEWA GUEST HOUSE.Look up onto the first floor of the buildings you'll see the navy and white signs.

COST: Expensive it maybe, but the old British tastebuds thanked me. It was worth the splash. 325 Nepal Rupees for Bangers n Mash. The 'Bangers and Mash' with tasty thick onion gravy (so thick I could hardly see a trickle of the sauce) was so big a portion, I thought I would not eat it, and if I'd dared to scoff the lot, I thought I'd be bloated for two days! I did,ate the lot! Lapped it up.

SERVICE: I found the Nepalese staff comprising of young helpful men, friendly and eager to help.When I entered, old Irish music was playing over music system.I asked if there was any typical English music and one lad came over with a pile of CD's asking me to choose three of my favourites. (No Whitesnake,Duran Duran or Cliff Richard, but they do have Santana,Frank Sinatra and Van Morrison)Oh Well! Can't be perfect!!After seeing the prices I dubiously asked about the portion sizes and hoped the imagery proved true.They werequite accurate in describing the size.(When you get 8 chips and have to pay 50 Rupees in some eateries, it can make one quite critical of the service and goods provided!)I was so pleased after the meal when all went smoothly. I got my massive meal within half an hour.

DECOR: I was the only customer in there on a Thursday at 4pm, but the typical British pub decor (thankfully and strangely without the gagging stench of nicotine and smoke) complete with large mirror,old pictures, old liquor ads and beer mats, all very homely.

TASTE: The food was just what I needed. I did enquire about a tinge of a curious 'flowery' flavour in the mashed potato. The one lad was happy to tell me all about how the chef cooked the ingredients. When he mentioned something apart from the usual Butter,Cream,Milk,Potato -I asked what it was, this 'powder' he mentioned. 'Extra flavouring' he said. NO,NO,NO, I quietly disagreed and gave him the low down that all he may need is salt and pepper! NO MSG,NO 'FLAVOURING'. Even though, it was still yummy, and I'd be happy to eat it all over again!

Check Kathmandu Hotel Deals