Prairie Dog Town

4th St. & I H 27 , Lubbock, TX, USA

Prairie Dog Town Lubbock Reviews

kingsheart kingshea…
Prairie Dog Town Jul 01, 2008
Prairie Dog Town is unique to visit and if your in Lubbock I would recommend stopping by and seeing these furry critters. This town was created by K. N. Clapp who worried about the extinction of the black tailed prairie dog so he captured two and kept them in the area that later became Prairie Dog Town at one time Mr. Clapp was the honorary Major of Prairie Dog Town. The Prairie Dogs reproduced and have filled the town….and have even moved out to different parts of Lubbock and the surrounding farms and ranches.

This township was recently upgraded to better facilitate humans, handicap ramps too, also installed a barrier wall to try to keep the furry critters in. There is a paved road up to the township. You can take photos from the covered area or walk around the barrier (no concrete) and get into two different bird blinds to get a better photo of them.

I do recommend coming here first to see what they look like but then also recommend you going to Parkway Drive (this is 4th Street that turns into Parkway Drive east of I27) and MLK Jr. Blvd turn right (south) it curves around some and on the left you will see open fields full of these prairie dogs. My blog photos up close are from that very field and another one. The best time to see them is daybreak and sunset. They do “bark” a high pitched bark to warn the others and it makes it hard to get close to them but still you will get closer to them here than at Prairie Dog Town.

Prairie Dog Town is Lubbock’s 5th most visited sight for Tourist.

And if you are coming send me a message and if I am in Lubbock I will meet you and show you around to the best spots.
kbutera says:
They're so CUTE, I love them. Will def go when we visit Lubbock.
Posted on: Sep 19, 2010

Related Travel Blogs About Prairie Dog Town

Prairie Dog Town
I went to Prairie Dog Town a few days ago, went twice as it was raining one time but thought I would show you these little critters.  They once were almost extinct but C.N. Clapp captured two of…Prairie Dog Town was very well known in the States and the World, even today it remains Lubbock's 5th most…

Check Lubbock Hotel Deals