Praia de Lopes Mendes

Ilha Grande, Brazil

Praia de Lopes Mendes Ilha Grande Reviews

MalenaN MalenaN
Lopes Mendes Beach Jan 27, 2017
Lopes Mendes Beach is a lovely 3km long white sandy beach on the south eastern side of the island. It is facing the Atlantic Ocean and the waves are often good for surfing. When I visited the currents were too strong for swimming so there was a red flag on the beach.

It is a popular place to visit, but it was not crowded at all. Most people seemed to stay near the entrance to the beach and it was low season when I visited (June 2016). On the beach you can rent surfboards, but there are no restaurants at Lopes Mendes.

My intension had been to take a long walk on the beach, till the end, but as I had already walked all way from Vila do Abraão and didn’t feel very well (a cold was on its way) I lay down to read instead. It was not very warm in the sun and I don’t know if it was because of the breeze, or because I was catching a cold and temperature. I didn’t stay very long, but started my walk back to Vila do Abraão.

To get there:

From Vila do Abraão you can hike a 6km long trail to get to Lopes Mendes. It took me around two hours. Or you can take a boat to Praia do Pouso and walk from there. The walk from Praia do Pouso takes around 20 minutes. Arriving by foot you will be asked by several people if you want to take a boat back, so it is not necessary to arrange for that before you leave Abraão.
Lopes Mendes Beach, Ilha Grande
MalenaN says:
Yes, Aleksandra, it is a lovely place!
Posted on: Jan 29, 2017
odiseya says:
Amazing!
Posted on: Jan 29, 2017
MalenaN says:
Thank you Holger! It will definitely take me some time to get accustomed with how this web site works :)
Posted on: Jan 28, 2017
carles1984 carles19…
great trip to brasil May 16, 2011
I was travelling with a friend in southamerica and we had a last month in brasil, had a great experience, great perople, food music ......speacially recommend ilha do mel, near curitiba there is the city of paranagua where you can catch a ferry to this amazing without cars island, iddliyc
eamesker eamesker
Best beach in Brazil - and no crowds! Sep 03, 2008
The cost is average because it takes money to get to Ilha Grande, then money to take a boat to Praia de Lopes Mendes. You will more than likely need to stay on the island one night.

This is BY FAR the most beautiful beach I have ever been to, and I have seen many beaches. The sand is as soft as powder. The water is completely transparent. There is a lush forest lining the whole length of the 3km beach and the water is as blue as the sky. The best part about it is that it is almost empty!!! A perfect beach with no crowds - heaven!

Although there can sometimes be currents, it is an ideal spot for swimming because the water is so shallow and very gradually deepens. There is god surf here and some local guys and glas rent out surfboards on the beach. There are also very few locals who sell food and water.

Use protection though, the sun here can be very harsh - I learned this the hard way. Use the greenery for shade.

This beach is a must see for anyone visiting Brazil!!!

Check Ilha Grande Hotel Deals