Prague Architecture

Prague, Czech Republic

Prague Architecture Reviews

Andy99 Andy99
An Endless Variety of Building Styles Sep 26, 2011
Walking around Prague, one quickly realizes that one of the unique qualities of this city is its amazing variety of buildings all mixed together. Whether you are in the New Town (Nove Mesto), Old Town (Stare Mesto), the Jewish Quarter (Josefov), or the Little Quarter (Mala Strana) look around and you will see a veritable show of building styles. I don't know of another city where you can cover as much architectural and design history in so few steps!

Gothic, Baroque, Rococo, Gothic Revival, Neoclassical, Art Nouveau, Cubist, Art Deco, International, and experimental buildings are all here in close proximity. And it all works. (Not much in the mid-19th century Biedermeier style, but then those Praguers have never been ones for moderation in design!)

A real surprise to me was the way Prague designers went in for decorating their buildings by adding all sorts of ornamental friezes and figures no matter what the era. (One doesn't see an abundance of that in, say, Washington, DC, where clean Neoclassical facades prevail.)

When in Prague, look up and look around to see the show!
Gothic Revival
Africancrab says:
I must make Prague too, thanks for sharing
Posted on: Dec 09, 2011
spocklogic says:
I keep saying it, and I must get to Prague. Love the list of artistic styles you mention in architecture. This place intrigues me more and more. Did you see any Hundertwasser buildings while there?
Posted on: Dec 09, 2011

Related Travel Blogs About Prague Architecture

The Journey Begins.
Iā€™m not a stranger to international travel and nor am I a stranger to staring at the face of adversity.  Whether it was Indonesia, Australia or Sri Lanka obstacles along the way have always st…architecture. Prague ā€“ Absinth!  1 litre of beer for 50p.  Tradition, history, culture. Krakow ā€“ Amazing scenery, views, monuments…
Amazing praque
The 4th of febr. 2011 we flew from Eindhoven Airport (Netherlands) to Praque international aiport, a 1hr flight so just long enough for a quick drink and a good view outside. At 1245 we arrived at Pr…Prague, architecturally there is no finer example. We had some food and drinks and went back by tram to the hotel…
Prague, Czech Republic
 On Christmas morning at 8:05 I boarded my first flight in a 24 hour traveling experience. I went to Prague by way of Philadelphia and Frankfurt, Germany. Then from Germany into Prague. I arr…Prague there is history and amazing architecture, Since Prague has switch to a democratic nation from communism, it has seena…

Check Prague Hotel Deals