Pousada Santa Clara

Pantanal, Brazil
www.pantanaltrekking.com / w… - (67) 9939-3570 - Roney & Vania

Compare Pocone Hotel Rates (10.9km away)

Pousada Santa Clara Pantanal Reviews

andrejav andrejav
Pousada Santa Clara Sep 30, 2016
I was going through southern Brazil towards Bolivia and I stopped in the small town called Bonito. Some travelers told me that it is a fantastic place because of the super clear waters and lots of fish that you get to swim with. The truth is that Bonito is one of the largest tourist traps that I have ever seen and all prices are fixed to extracting stupid amounts of money from anyone that comes here. Looking to find something authentic I researched the Pantanal swamp area and the possibilities to stay on some farm in that area. Hostel that I was staying in helped me with securing the connection for transportation and reservation on the Santa Clara farm.

I checked the farm online and looked through the offers and tours that they have. It looked pretty good and interesting, a bit expensive, but I met some travelers that spent few days there and I assured me that I would enjoy it. I booked three day tour with some 6 tours that included fishing, horse riding, boat trip, night tour and few more… Actually what made me go for it is that they said that the food is out of this world, incredibly good and plentiful.

So I booked 3 nights with them and got into the van that was taking passengers to the dirt road that connected farms around Pantanal. Van was comfortable and it doped us after pretty long ride (from Bonito) to the curb of the highway and the driver said that every farm sends their vehicle to pick the guests. He was waiting with us so that arrangement was alright. After a bit few trucks, vans and flatbed trucks showed up. I got in the rickety truck from 70’s that had wooden benches and cover. After an hour we got to the ranch. It used to be large cattle and horse ranch, but it looks like tourism is more lucrative so they sold almost all animals and they keep only some pigs and horses. There are many cows grazing around, but they are from someone else because Santa Clara rents their fields.

Farm houses are spacious and there are many things to do if weather is not good. They have different games, TV, WiFi, Pool, sport filed, volleyball court…

There are dorms or rooms to rent. I got room with nice queen size bed, good clean bathroom and air-condition. All people that work for the ranch live there in the houses that surround the ranch. Your guides are very good, happy, have interesting English, and willing to smile any time.

Food… food was fantastic, different every day, lunch and dinner with lots of fruits, homemade sweets and few options that cover spectrum of palettes. Few ladies are working in the large kitchen and they ring the bell when all is done. There is an old wood stove with the marble top that keeps food warm.

Breakfast was easily one of the best I have seen on my travels. Craziness of options and incredibly good coffee. You can get coffee or tea any time you like, just pick up the hot water from the stove…

In the morning most of the animals come round to eat something (if they are not eaten overnight) so you can see huge parrots or toucans, wild pigs and geese. Really special.

Tours were cool too, horse riding, boat tour, fishing, night safari… Plethora of animals and birds, gets you tired after few days. All piranhas that we fished out were prepared for us, and VERY tasty :)

Great place, warmly recommended.
frugihoyi frugihoyi
Nao fique na Pousada Santa Clara - Don't stay at Pousada Santa Clara Feb 25, 2010
[scroll down for English]

Tudo comecou quando eu falei com o Gilberto na agencia de turismo da nova rodoviaria de Campo Grande. Ele estava tentando me vender uma viagem para o Pantanal. Eu ja estava com vontade de ir pra la, mas nao tinha tanto tempo porque queria ir a Bonito e deveria estar de volta em Sao Paulo em alguns dias. Ele falou que eu ainda tinha tempo e que eu deveria ir para o Pantanal no mesmo dia (que era melhor ir pro Pantanal primeiro por alguma razao). Eu disse que ja havia comprado a minha passagem pra Bonito. Dai ele disse que eu poderia ir pro Pantanal depois de Bonito e ofereceu me vender a viagem pro Pantanal por um preco especial e tambem incluir a viagem de volta para Campo Grande (normalmente eles soh incluem passagem de Campo Grande para Pantanal). Aceitei.

- Eu estava indo pra Bonito por dois dias e depois para o Pantanal, tudo por conta propria.

- Ficaria quatro dias na Pousada Santa Clara no Pantanal por um preco "especial" e teria carona de volta para Campo Grande gratis.

Em Santa Clara, a minha primeira surpresa foi que o meu preco "especial (R$410 por quatro dias)" foi o mesmo que os outros pagaram, e ainda aviam outros que pagaram somente R$380 por exatamente a mesma coisa. Ninguem havia pago mais do que R$410.

Quando estava chegando a hora de pegar a carona de Santa Clara para Campo Grande (numa van deles que estava levando outros turistas e alguns trabalhadores de volta para Campo Grande), descobri que a minha carona nao estava inclusa e que eu deveria pagar R$50. Liguei para Gilberto, que me disse que nao sabia do que eu estava falando, e que caronas soh estao incluidas de Campo Grande ate o Pantanal. Tambem nao adiantou falar com o pessoal de Santa Clara. Tentei e tentei mas eles estavam determinados que eu pagasse R$50, dizendo que eu poderia acertar com o Gilberto quando chegasse em Campo Grande, pois a agencia de viagems ficava aberta ate 21:30. Nao tive escolha e paguei pelo transporte de volta a Campo Grande. Cheguei na rodoviaria um pouco antes das 20:00 e a agencia ja estava fechada.

Conclusao: Gilberto da agencia de viagems na rodoviaria de Campo Grande eh um vigarista e o pessoal da Pousada Santa Clara sao mentirosos que soh querem o seu dinheiro. Tambem sao muito burros porque se eu convencer somente uma pessoa a nao ficar la, eles vao perder oito vezes o que ganharam quando nao tiveram simpatia e me fizeram pagar pela carona.

It all started when I spoke with Gilberto at the tourism agency in Campo Grande´s new bus station. He was trying to sell me a trip to Pantanal. I was already thinking of going there, but I didn´t have so much time because I wanted to go to Bonito and I had to be back in Sao Paulo in a few days. He said that I still had time and that I should go to Pantanl first (for some reason he said it was better to go to Pantanal before Bonito). I told him that I had already bought my ticket to Bonito. Then he said that I could go to Pantanal after Bonito and offered to sell me the trip to Pantanal for a special price and also to include the trip back to Campo Grande (normally they only include the trip from Campo Grande to Pantanal). I accepted the offer.

- I was going to Bonito for two days and then to Pantanal, everything at my own expense.

- I was going to stay for four days at Pousada Santa Clara in Pantanal for a "special" price. I would also get a free trip back to Campo Grande.

In Santa Clara, my first surprise was that my "special price (R$410 for four days)" was the same that others paid, and that there were still others that paid only R$380 for the exact same thing. No one had paid more than R$410.

When the time to leave was approaching (in one of their vans that was also taking other guests and some workers back to Campo Grande), I learned that my trip was not included and that I should paid R$50. I called Gilberto, who told me that he didn't know what I was talking about, and that trips back to Campo Grande are never included. It also didn't help to talk with the people from Santa Clara. I tried and tried, but they were determined that I pay R$50, telling me that I could sort it out with Gilberto when I arrived in Campo Grande (the tourism agency was open until 21:30, they told me). I had no choice and I paid for the transport back to Campo Grande. I arrived at the bus station a little before 20:00 and the agency was closed.

Conclusion: Gilberto from the tourism agency at the bus station in Campo Grande is a liar and opportunist. The people from Pousada Santa Clara are also liars who only want your money. They are also very stupid because if I can convince at least one person to avoid their pousada, they will lose eight times what they got from me for not having compassion and making me pay for the transport.
Sads79 Sads79
Good value accomodation & decent tour Jun 10, 2009
A decent place to stay - hosts are friendly enough and there are good services - no internet, but Tv room, table football, pool table, swimming pool, hammock area, volleyball court, football pitch - you name it, they have it!

I booked through www.panatanaltrekking.com to get a tour and guide: r$400 for 4 days/3 nights with dorm accomodation. All meals included (decent buffet food). Our guide Johnny could have been more enthusiastic, but he was very knowledgable about the Pantanal.

Overall a great little place to stay and a decent value tour of the Pantanal with good wildlife spotting.

Related Travel Blogs About Pousada Santa Clara

A Pantanal adventure
The last four days I´ve spent in the Pantanal, a wetlands (although now it´s mostly dry like the savannah) region in central Brazil. It was a four day and three night package, leaving from Campo G…Pousada Santa Clara), before grabbing only the essentials to head into the Pantanal proper for a night. It was really…

Compare Pocone Hotel Rates (10.9km away)

Pantanal Map