Posada Dona Eva

Chiquimula, Guatemala

Posada Dona Eva Chiquimula Reviews

andrejav andrejav
Posada Dona Eva May 22, 2012
Arrived to Chiquimula early morning around 9, and that proved to be disadvantage in the task of finding the room. Couple places that I followed trough the guides did not have clean room, or no room at all, so I was looking for anything just to take backpack from my back… Posada was on the list of hotels in my book, and I passed by the entrance trying to find it. Came back and looked down the long hall to the small courtyard where someone was laying in the hammock. I went in and tried to summon someone to help me with the room, but no one answered, and person in the hammock waved her hand in non understandable manner. I turned to go out, but someone yelled and I came back to the hammock and had conversation with Dona Eva… Honestly, it took me few minutes to figure out if I am talking to the man or a women, because Dona is dressed like man and has short hair modeled in the men’s hair salon. The other thing is that she has sister that is exactly the same as her, dress the same, walk the same, same glasses which added to my confusion ten-fold… After short haggling session, I got room for 50Q which was what was written in the book, and went to my room on the second floor.

Room was fairly big and one quarter of it was walled off for bathroom and shower. It was a bit weird setting, but when you are looking for clean, cheep place, you don’t care about the arrangements. Anyway, both “stalls” were definitely part of the room with only curtains separating them from the sleeping area. It would be a bit weird to go to the bathroom if you are there with someone else… or not. I must say that Dona’s is obviously a hotel geared towards the one night stands, and after making sure that everything is clean and kosher, I just stayed there for one night. Little TV works and it is positioned high above the door.

Posada is built in the middle of the block’s square (street block usually cover only outsides of the square, so in the middle there is empty space for more buildings) and to get to it u go through dark passage until you get to the concrete plaza and yellow building of the hotel. Plaza features few threes, fake fountain on the wall and it not the place to hang around at all. Security is pretty good, and they close the metal door of the passage around 10pm so you have to knock hard...They have very angry parrot that pretty much does not like people at all, and will try to attack and bite you at all times you are close by. Good thing is that he cant fly. On the top of the building (it is not roof because they stop building after third level, but they left iron bars to keep going up) there is setup for washing, and chicken farm… Well, chicken, ducks and other feather creatures are feed there until they end up on the table.

City of Chiquimula is not bad to stay over for day or two. There is not too much to see, but nice big market surrounds the main church, and food is pretty good and cheep. I went to the Circus that was in town (you can see lots of pictures that I uploaded... it was fun), and enjoyed in good music performed in the park. During the night everything dies very fast, and there is no too many lights around the streets. Surrounding area has some hot springs and you can also venture to the volcano Ipala. It was actually good place to break the traveling and rest a bit from the buses, and then catch the connection to the right direction…
Chiquimula Map