Portside Hotel

Check Chiang Khong Hotel Deals

Portside Hotel Chiang Khong Reviews

Biedjee Biedjee
Clean, friendly and comfortable Nov 22, 2010
Most people arriving from Laos hop on the first bus to Chiang Rai or Chiang Mai. I can't see why not. However, if you have to stay in Chiang Khong for a night, then the Portside Hotel is definitely a good option. When coming from customs, the Portside Hotel is the first hotel on the main road on the left.

The place is clean, friendly and very comfortable. Some of the rooms have views over the Mekong river. There's a lovely roof terrace overlooking the Mekong as well.

The rooms are well-equipped mid-range rooms, for a budget price. There are two low-budget rooms with shared facilities available as well.

There is no restaurant, but there is food available for room-service. It seemed as if this was ordered from a nearby restaurant though (I didn't order any, so I can't comment on the quality).

The wi-fi Internet was super fast as well (OK, I think I was connected to the wi-fi of the neighbours, but who cares?)

I think the owner is a collector of comics, because in the lobby there are several bookcases containing thousands of them. Couldn't read any of it though, they were all in Thai.

The people who work here are very friendly. When I asked the lady at the reception about transportation to Chiang Rai she introduced me to her sister who was heading that way anyway and arranged a lift for me.

So in conclusion, this is a very nice and comfortable place to spend the night. If you're heading towards Laos Chiang Khong is a much much better place to stay than the awful Huay Xai across the river.
Chiang Khong