Porto tips Reviews
Jan 10, 2008
Porto is Portugal's second largest city, and a very busy industrial and commercial center. As its historical center was awarded World Heritage status by UNESCO in 1996, therefore one should discover it's old treasure.
If you wanna know the city's past deeply and interestingly, what about joining one of the walking tours and discover the treasures of the city with a guide from the tourist office. My advice is either Ribeira or Se Cathedral tour. reference; http://www.portoturismo.pt/index.php?m=2&s=3
The followings are my general tips for you:
1. Visit monuments lke the Cathedral, Palacio da Bolsa (Stock Exchange Palace)are the must things to see for everbody.
2. If you like things from the past, take a walk around the historical areas with beautiful architechture like Praca de Liberdade, S. Bento Station & some churches along the way (there's a stunning one called Torre dos Clérigos with a tall tower which you can walk up the long stairs to the top and get a beautiful view of the whole city).
3. Hop up one of those tourist buses with several routes, and go around the enourmus city. Or, you can take a classical old tram to see the charming scenery along the river and experience the local lifestyle.
4. Have a nice drink or dinner along the river, enjoy the beautiful sunset/night view in front of you, and of course, what's better than having a glass of Port wine as well.
5. Visit the many port wine caves if you're a wine lover.
7. Get a special old style cruise and enjoy your Douro River trip.
6. Go to the beach in Foz or go to Casa de Serralves if you like to have a sunbath or an interesting greenery place with a special designed big park with flowers and exhibitions to see. If you like music, you' need to see the Casa da Musica (The music house, it's a new interesting building worth visiting which is considered to be the best place in the world for musical performances in terms of acoustic quality.)
7. Go shopping in a mall near Estadio de Dragao (Dragon Stadium), there's a super trendy nice mall for you to spend your money. It's one of the Metro stations, so it should be easy to go.
8. Don't forget to try thier deligacy, especially the local favourite common dish called Francezinha. It's something you won't forget!
2 / 3 TravBuddies found this review helpful/trustworthy
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!