Portage Bay Cafe

4130 Roosevelt Way NE Seattle, Seattle, WA, USA

Portage Bay Cafe Seattle Reviews

waterfyre waterfyre
Scrumptious Food! Mar 07, 2008
The Portage Bay Cafe is probably my favorite place in the world for breakfast. The food is just amazing, and I have never had anything on the menu that I didn't absolutely love!!

This little cafe is in the U-District, off Roosevelt. It isn't fancy in presentation; it looks like any number of small cafes in the Seattle area...a room full of tables, large windows, al fresco dining in the courtyard (for nicer weather)... There is a large kayak-looking boat that hangs from the ceiling and pictures of the Portage Bay on the walls, which is a body of water nearby.

The Down Side:

Parking is sometimes a problem (where isn’t parking a problem?), but if the parking lot underneath the hotel is full, there is usually parallel parking available somewhere in the surrounding neighborhood. There is always, always a wait- sometimes over an hour if you hit the wrong day, but the food is well worth the wait (plus you can grab a hot, tasty beverage while you're waiting)!

The Up Side:

The wait staff is usually very attentive. The juices are all fresh squeezed (yum!) and they have a good selection of hot teas (for those of us that don’t do coffee). The food itself is largely organic or all-natural, and the Portage Bay supports local growers and farms. I highly recommend the sautéed fuji apple pancakes, the aged-gouda and chicken sausage egg scramble, or the blintzes (kinda like a sweet crepe filled with all sorts of delectable goodness). Those are my favorite dishes. I’m particularly fond of the breakfast bar items because ordering any of those plates allows you a trip to the breakfast bar. (This is a large counter in the main dining area that has huge bowls of fresh fruit --in season-- such as blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, etc.; house-made whipped cream; nuts; and syrups.)

This place is unforgettably delightful. Even though I no longer live in Seattle, I still pine for my missed weekend breakfasts at the Café. The food is just wonderful! If you visit the Emerald City, I highly, highly recommend stopping by for breakfast before starting your day.

Check Seattle Hotel Deals