Port of Progreso

Progreso, Mexico

Port of Progreso Reviews

ahtibat17 ahtibat17
Port of Progreso Jan 18, 2013
It appears that the port of Progreso, Mexico is fairly new. We were on a Carnival ship, and the only boat docked that day, so I'm not sure what other cruiselines visit Progreso. The dock is away from the actual town. Once you are off the boat, there are the obligatory duty free and souvenir shops to walk through to get to the free shuttle into town. This is about a five-minute ride to a market. Upon arriving there, the tour company that operates the free shuttle gives a sales-pitch on their available tours. We didn't have any tours booked, through Carnival or privately. This area is known for the Mayan Ruins and it's proximity to historic Merida, but we didn't venture out. I might recommend doing so, via excursion.

My sister and I walked around the market, but got frustrated quickly with the peddlers hollering and whistling at us. We didn't venture into the town, which appeared authentically Mexican, rather than catering to the tourist culture. No Hard Rock Cafe or Margaritaville here. If I had been more comfortable with my Spanish-fluency, or my sister not been as apprehensive, we might've walked around downtown. But, we erred on the side of caution.

The shuttle back to the port leaves from the same drop-off point. To stay on schedule, they don't require a full van like they preferred to have going to town. Plus, this time around you don't have to listen to the tour spiel.

Check Progreso Hotel Deals