Poppy's

www.poppysdurango.com - (970) 259-2320

Poppy's Durango Reviews

Gabby27 Gabby27
Great Sandwiches, Homemade Breads, Cozy Atmosphere Mar 27, 2010
Mitsy Bronson. Lucy Grandview. Woozie Ledgewood. Characters in an old western film I think not. Sandwiches my friends...these are just a few of the fantastic names given to the sandwiches at Poppy's, a quaint local restaurant in downtown Durango. Located just blocks from the train station this place is easy to get to and tucked away, what more could you ask for when looking for an authentic dining experience. Jodi and I stopped in before we had to be at the airport. It was the last day of our trip, a day of mixed emotions. I was grateful for my experiences in Colorado but sad to see them coming to an end. This small place, an old house converted it looks like, was the perfect remedy for a premature nostalgic heart. The walls are a muted, peaceful and natural green color and giant red poppy's are everywhere. Local art work hangs happily in the restaurant also, adding to it's authentic and friendly flare. The menu is creatively written on several chalkboards which gives me the impression that it might change on a regular basis. Heck, with the names of their sandwiches, as an employee I'd constantly be coming up with something entertaining and new, even if just for the sake of laughing when guests stumbled over their tongue twisting qualities!

We ordered the daily special spinach salad with blue cheese, walnuts, mushrooms, and a rasberry dressing...we also shared the Mitsy Bronson. Turkey, sprouts, tomato, cucumbers, red onion, and curry mayonnaise. I said it, CURRY MAYO...home-freakin-made. D-LICIOUS! Did I mention you get to choose between 3 of their amazing homemade breads?! Parmasean and herb, asiago cheese and pepper, and another that I can not remember...sorry...my brain can only hold so much flavor!

One of my favorite parts about this place is the atmosphere. The people behind the counter are happy and proud of their restaurant and the job that they do. They provide not only outstanding food and service, but a comfortable place for people in the neighborhood to gather. There is a large bookshelf in the back right corner of the main dining area. That's where Jodi and I sat. There is a sign that reads (basically) "If you see a book you like read it while you wait for your delicious food...if you have to, take it with you. Just bring another book to replace it to keep our shelves full for everyone!" How wonderful!

After I found out the bread was homemade I asked them if they sold it by itself. They do indeed sell the fresh loaves (size of a large roll) for 75 cents a piece. Get this, they gave me 4 of the day old rolls for FREE! It felt just as fresh and my friends that I left it with said it was great!

Yay Poppy's!