Poppies Fish and Chips - Camden

020 7267 0440

Poppies Fish and Chips - Camden London Reviews

moviegal226 moviegal…
Overhyped Sep 30, 2016
I love to eat and I am a true foodie tourist in every sense of the word, but I'm sorry to say that Poppies let me down. I had been looking forward to trying it (and added it to my self-guided foodie tour of London), but it turned out to be not much more than a disappointment.

The atmosphere is boisterous (loud 50s music) and the employees are friendly. We chose to takeaway our order and sat outside the restaurant on the benches provided. The volume of the music isn't the issue. Even the prices are fair (for London) and the portions are more than adequate. My fish and chips both tasted fresh. So what's the issue? It's the cooking technique. Our fish was so overcooked that it had an almost rubbery texture. It wasn't inedible but it wasn't great (and a fish and chips stand should know the appropriate amount of time to cook their fish). The chips were obviously fresh but they lacked any sort of satisfying crispy crunch.

I didn't flat out hate this meal but it certainly isn't something I'd go out of my way to return to or to recommend to anyone else. I think the word that sums this place up best is "overhyped."
Overcooked fish