Ponto's Big Wave Cafe

7720 El Camino Real, Carlsbad, CA, USA

Ponto's Big Wave Cafe Carlsbad Reviews

HeatherHop HeatherH…
Tasty and affordable...a few quirks, but worth trying! Jun 23, 2009
I finally tried this place after my husband has talked about going out to eat at lunch there for months now. It was good, but there are a few quirks to the place.

You come in and walk up to the counter to place your order. The entire menu is written up above for you to look at. Most of the menu is Greek food, but it looks as though there are a few Mexican dishes as well, and a few other random things like burgers, sandwiches, etc. So there is something for everybody.

I ordered the falafel burrito, which is "Ground Seasoned Garbonzo Beans, Tomatoes, Onion Wrapped In A Large Flour Tortilla With Tatziki Sauce On The Side". You can also get it as a plate, so it will come with a small greek salad, whole pinto beans, rice pilaf and pita bread. I didn't get the plate but Norwood did and I ate a few bites of his rice and salad. They were good.

The burrito was very good, and the Tatziki sauce that it came with was perfect to compliment the burrito.

My husband says that usually when he goes there with his coworkers, they always give the orders to the wrong people. This luckily didn't happen to us today, but it apparently happens often, so if you do plan on going here, make sure you check and make sure you have the right meal before digging in, especially in a situation where everybody, say, ordered burritos and they all come out looking the same.

I ordered a side of Dolmades, thinking they would be like Dolmathes, but they weren't. They looked like Dolmathes (grape leaves stuffed with rice pilaf), but they were covered in hollandaise sauce, which was kind of weird. I cut one open and discovered that it was filled with meat, and since I am a vegetarian, I was disappointed to find meat on my plate.

The guy was very nice and took them back without my even asking (I figured it was my bad for having ordered the wrong thing without looking into it), but he noticed they hadn't been touched and asked about it, and then promptly took them back to the kitchen and made me some with just the rice, which was really nice of him to do, but they were still a bit odd covered in hollandaise sauce. I wouldn't recommend that item, even if you do like meat, the hollandaise on stuffed grape leaves wasn't so great.

What was great, however, was my burrito. Holy wow! It was so delicious! Norwood had the Greek Chicken burrito and said it was also really good. The burritos are highly recommended, you will not be disappointed!

Oh, and bonus...they have a free chips and salsa bar that you can snack on while you wait for your food. They also have some free candy next to the cash register...yum tootsie roll pops!

The restaurant has mostly indoor seating, but a few outdoor tables as well. They do dine-in and to go orders. The atmosphere is relaxed and casual, and there are a couple of large TV's inside that play sports games. It is located a little bit off the beaten path in a shopping center, but the center is right off of El Camino Real (a major street) so it is very convenient.

Check Carlsbad Hotel Deals