Pondok Pengkang Restaurant Pontianak

Peniti Street, Pontianak, Indonesia

Pondok Pengkang Restaurant Pontianak Reviews

arianna88 arianna88
Pondok Pengkang Restaurant in Pontianak Apr 03, 2013
When you are on the way from Pontianak to Singkawang, Pengkang restaurant is the best place to take a rest a while for lunch or dinner before a long 3 hour trip to Singkawang. The restaurant has a wide parking area and they have a huge traditional house of Dayak ethnic combined with Dayak carving type. After one hour sitting in the car from Pontianak, I am sure this area will make our back pain getting relaxed. I can feel how the Pontianak air burnt my face but in the same time the forest wind also balanced it by its warmth.

The special menu of this restaurant is sea food. You will be spoiled with big sauced crabs, baked big shrimps, or many type of fishes with various menu. I do understand that they are a lot of cholesterol but I think I can have little bit rest to enjoy them a while. After thinking more and more, finally I made wise decision for me: a small bowl of pengkang and then fish soup.

Pengkang is the special menu in this restaurant beside seafood. Pengkang is a traditional food from Pontianak, West Borneo. It is a baked glutinous sticky rice with mix shrimp inside. I would like to compare with many types of sticky rice in Thailand and Java, the uniqueness of this food is baking process and how in serving Pengkang. We can also see how Pengkang baked by coconut shell. They said this traditional way of baking has been derived since 1934. Cool. Just a caution for some people who are not comfortable with the coconut shell fog around the parking area, the taste of pengkang can be a compliment compared with the baking process.

I am interested to write about the uniqueness of this sticky rice. The sticky rice from Thailand is a simple food and we eat it with chopped mango sauce. Hmm sounds delicious . A sticky rice from Java, we name it Lemper, a sticky rice with shredded chicken or meat inside. Hmm yummy ...! Pengkang is another type of sticky rice with shrimp inside and we eat that with hot clam sauce... wowowow ... It really burns my tongue! Help help help ! but I like it so much  For a traveler and food lover like me, tasting this hot sauce is really recommended.

They also have fruits juice, the special one is an orange juice with original Pontianak orange ...very fresh! Lot of various fresh water are available even though I did not check Heineken or Bir Bintang are available or not. I think both drinks are there. I met 2 Japanese girls in this restaurant when they stopped by to Sambas to visit historical cemetery. They ordered instant noodle soup (Indomie) and a simple fried rice (nasi goreng). Aha fried rice (nasi goreng) and noodle soup are there as well. Hmm over all, this restaurant gives us a fresh air after the long sitting in the car, quite complete dishes, at least from my side as local traveler.

I really enjoy the fresh air and feel relaxed sitting in this restaurant with delicious food.

The most uncomfortable of this restaurant is the toilet. The flash water is there but still need to improve more especially for the cleanness. Sorry!
Pengkang Restaurant
Baked sticky rice and chilly clam …
baking process
sticky rice covered with banana le…
cicie says: