Pompadour @ the Caledonian Hilton

Edinburgh, Scotland

Pompadour @ the Caledonian Hilton Edinburgh Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
Restaurants in the Caledonian Hilton Nov 05, 2011
The Caledonian Hilton is one of the oldest, grandest hotels in central Edinburgh.  I am reviewing it as a restaurant rather than as a hotel, because I haven’t stayed there yet, but I have eaten there whilst trying out food for my wedding.

The Caledonian hotel, known locally as the Calley, is at the West End of Princes Street and many of the dining rooms, including the Pompadour (but not the main restaurant downstairs) have a view over the churchyard to Edinburgh Castle.  The Pompadour and the Castle Suite are very ornately decorated, with early twentieth century lighting features and charming, old world features.  The whole hotel is “listed” – protected under British law so that they can not be substantially changed – because they are so special and so important architecturally.

The food is intended to be similarly classical, with lots of beef, venison and traditional Scottish soups on offer.  There are, however, modern twists like the caramelised onion in the cock-a-leekie soup.  The soups are particularly great, the meat is all fantastic and perfectly cooked and the vegetables are all fresh and steamed.  I am told the chefs pride themselves on the vegetarian options too, although I wasn’t about to try that myself when there was venison on offer.  The deserts are gorgeous too.

I was eating food intended for a wedding menu so it is hard for me to say what it would have cost if I was eating in a restaurant, but I think you are probably talking about the expensive side of average – around £40 perhaps for three courses.

The service was absolutely flawless, and, from what I could see, just as good if you weren’t trying out the wedding food.

I would recommend the restaurant here.  Although the most special rooms are sometimes booked out for private functions (and worth considering if you have a really, really special party to organise), the main restaurant is also very nice and the only thing it’s lacking is the view of the castle.

the least grand room...