1904 14th Street NW, Washington, DC, USA
www.policydc.com - 202.387.7654

Policy Washington Reviews

HuBison HuBison
Eh, I'm sure there are better places, but it depends on what you are looking for Mar 29, 2011
I have been to Policy three times now: once to sorta party (but that ended up being quite whack), a second time to eat and drink at the bar, and last time to have dinner.

As we entered Policy the first time, the people exiting mentioned that we would not be disappointed by the food. Who could turn down lamb chops! We actually didn't go to eat, we were just bar hopping and headed upstairs. Looking at the menu, I would return here to eat though.

The second floor of Policy has a collection of small chandeliers all over the place adding a certain charm and warmth while you eat or drink. There is great wall art spread from end to end. If you're bar hopping through the U street corridor, make a stop here...not sure what it would be like to post up here all night.

On the second time I went, I was really just wandering on a cold December night. Yet, it was PACKED. There wasn't table space for one and I was directed to an empty seat at the bar. I don't know if anything changed since my last visit, but they don't serve dinner. They been sucked into the norm of serving an array of tapas for people to share and sample.

I order the lamb sliders (just OK, but not good once they turn cold), the curry lentils (which were good, except for the cauliflauer dumplings that were served with them), but the hanger steak was the best. The bartender didn't have the NY speed I am still used and so the service could have been better. Which is funny since I was sitting at the end of the bar and witnessed a variety of events. This is definitely the place to go and have wine. They seem to have a good selection and the glasses are meticulously wiped clean after being washed. A second incident I noticed was that another bartender has made some margharita's and the waiter asked him to pour some more liquor in it before he served it as there was so much ice in it-what good service.

Another bartender made something that sounded like breakfast in a martini glass. I saw her crack an egg and she was talking about bacon flavored liquor (ick!) and then she sprinkled it with cinnamon when she done.

The third time, the menu had changed from the last time I went, so I was disappointed I couldn't have soemthing I had enjoyed last time, but was eager to try something new. The shrimp were good (spicy with enough kick, but no overpowering). The snapper was just OK. The scalloped potatoes sent me running to the restroom (lactose intolerant--know you know).

Speaking of restroom, there aren't tucked away anywhere. They take up the back wall of the place and so it makes you feel a little exposed. They shoulda done a better job of putting those in a better spot.

So, it's a toss up if you try this place, but if I were you, I'd use my efforts, money, and energy else where.

Check Washington Hotel Deals