Police Station at the Old Town, Gdansk

Gdansk, Poland

Police Station at the Old Town, Gdansk Reviews

rolypoly rolypoly
Police Station at the Old Town, Gdansk Sep 21, 2017
Further to my review yesterday on pickpockets at the railway station in Gdansk, I'd like to share my experience at the police station when reporting my stolen wallet incident. I'm aware everyone has their own or case by case scenario. Our experience was interesting to say the least.

We walked in to the police station and talked to an officer in a uniform behind the reception counter. He was eating sunflower seeds which scattered on his desk whilst talking to us. I asked if we can see an English speaking officer? No English - that was his answer, bluntly (and still eating the sunflower seeds). We just stood there looking at each other, waiting for his further reaction ... then a nice local young man entered the station and asked us in English what happened? He then told us that there are officers here who speak English. Then, I saw the sunflower seed officer made a call and told us firmly in English to sit down! One police officer came to see us and we explained blah blah ... The options were: are we going to report the incident as a LOST which can be processed right away by his supervisor or reported STOLEN (or crime), which could take up to 5 hours waiting for a designated police officer who could do the translation. So, I asked can we come back then in 5 hours time to meet the translator? No, we have to wait right here at the police station - our choice. You guess, we opted for the LOST case :) ... having my mojito and seafood pasta instead was the better choice rather than waiting for 5 hours in a little dingy room (hah I felt like we were the crims). I haven't seen someone 'professional' on duty dealing with public/customers eating sunflower seeds or any snacks for that matter. It was quite amusing.

Below is the little piece of paper stated the 'lost' items, and surely is not a big deal to write a rather detailed report in plain English without a translator. Btw, the two police officers who saw us spoke quite good English.

p.s. very low crime rate in Gdansk by the statistic :)
The Potwierdzenie ...
starship1 says:
Interesting account of what happened to you, but sorry to hear that the police there don't really seem to care -- maybe because you were a tourist. Guess they don't care about putting on a good public relations face for tourists.
Paulovic says:
Anyhow congrats on being featured!
rolypoly says:
Good or bad things could happen to anyone, anywhere, no doubt about it. Both of my reviews were based on our unfortunate experience in Gdansk and I am just sharing it, could be helpful for some, if one does not find it useful - that is okay, don't take it on board. I'm not suggesting to tell people where to go or not to go ...

Btw, thanks for the smiles and comments, we move on and are more excited about what could go right :)

Check Gdansk Hotel Deals