Point Vicente Lighthouse
Rancho Palos Verdes, California
Point Vicente Lighthouse Rancho Palos Verdes Reviews
Point Vicente Lighthouse Jul 02, 2009
The Point Vicente Lighthouse was built in 1926 following a petition by concerned sea captains. The light marks the north end of the treacherous Catalina Channel on the Pacific coast and warns mariners of
rocky reefs along shoreline cliffs.
The handcrafted lens still used today was manufactured in the 1880's in Paris, France, by Barbier, Bernard, and Turenne - the oldest lens-making company in the world. It sits atop the 67-foot tower on the edge of a 130-foot cliff. The 197-foot focal plane makes the light visible for twenty miles at sea in clear conditions. The light was automated in 1971 though the site remains very active by the U.S. Coast Guard as the command center for southern California search and rescue operations.
The Point Vicente Lighthouse is open for tours on the second Saturday of each month from 10:00 a.m to 4:00 p.m. Being an active U.S. military installation, only the lighthouse and Coast Guard museum are accessible. Admission is free.
Part of the list Lighthouses
1 / 1 TravBuddies found this review helpful/trustworthy
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!