Point Cabrillo Light Station
45300 Lighthouse Road, Mendocino, CA, USA
Point Cabrillo Light Station Mendocino Reviews
a must-stop for lighthouse finders Nov 12, 2015
The development of the Point Cabrillo Light Station began in 1908, just two years after the devastating earthquake in San Francisco. Its lens is a British-build Fresnel and illuminated for the first time in 1909. It was a fast-phased construction as in a year time, this lighthouse was ready to give a guidance along water route. The reason? After the 1906 earthquake in San Francisco, the demand for lumber and other building materials became extremely high due to the immediate rebuilding of the city. A lighthouse is crucial for the safety of the ships that carried building materials to San Francisco.
Point Cabrillo sits in a 270 acres grounds of underdeveloped coastal bluffs.
To reach the lighthouse, a (moderate) one-mile roundtrip hike through a vast prairie land is a prerequisite. While walking along the trail, children or even adults may enjoy reading the informative displays about the wildlife residing there.
A few meters away to the lighthouse are a couple of original light keeper’s house, now rental cottages fully furnished with the early 1900s antique furniture. One of the inns is now a museum. Visitors may enter the little museum without fees.
Aside from the sweeping view of the rocky shoreline; this is home to harbor seals while the headlands are to some deer. Sadly, we didn’t get the chance to spot on the wildlife except for some squirrels and birds. Spring time is when they mingle with human beings according to staff in the gift shop.
Point Cabrillo is more than 100 years of existence, and it still is operating, giving light to government-owned ships.
For lighthouse finders, this is a must stop along CA Hwy Route 1 North Coast.
8 / 8 TravBuddies found this review helpful/trustworthy
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!