5 Eikstraat, Brussels, Belgium
02 511 92 62

Poechenellekelder Brussels Reviews

Pearl510 Pearl510
Nice bears and nice setting Apr 11, 2011
I like this café because it is a bit different from the others. It has the feel of an old, dark, dusty bar, but without the dirt and the cigarette smoke and the noise. What it does have is a lot of beers, most of them highly recommended. I really like the Bink Bloesem, for example. There's a terrace outside, right across Manneke Pis, and plenty of space inside.

Service is ok, but nothing more. You should come here mainly for the beers, I think. Snack portions aren't that big and pretty pricy for what you get (well yeah, it's the center of Brussels, so that comes to no surprise).

For the beer, I recommend this place, and I take my foreign friends here when they come over, to have them taste some of the less commercial beers and show them the kitschy decor, that is full of old drawings, pictures, cartoons,... and of course the "poechenellen" to which this place lends it's name. A "poechenelle" is the typical kind of wooden puppet that you'll see here.
Kwak, I like it because of the gla…
Bink Bloesem is one of my favorite…
Chokk Chokk
The name of an alcohol test "Poechenellekelder" Apr 25, 2009
Beside the unpronounceable name this is a great beer bar in the centre of Brussels. The cafe is situated on a very touristic path; it is just across of the Mannekin Pis but even without this touristic highlight I can really recommend this wonderful bar.

The beer list is extensive and one of the longest in Brussels; there are even worse don’t worry (longer). In this place the bartenders are more than enthusiastic about Belgian beers and the specials never disappoint.

When I have friends with me and walking the streets of Brussels I will in general bring them to the Poechenellekelder. It is a great place to watch the tourists walk by, because of Mannekin Pis there will be loads of them.

The only minus of this place is that they dont take credit cards and for sure you will run out of cash if you want to go the full distance in this wonderful bar.
Chokk says:
It is! - this is much worse than Danish but thanks for the help;D I think I will manage the next time.
lamadude says:
unpronounceable? Really, comming from a Danish guy? ;-) When I was in Denmark I found everything to be unpronouncable :-)

It's simply pronounced Poo-sha-nell-a-kel-dur ;)
GeorgeLeach GeorgeLe…
The Puppet Cellar Jun 29, 2009
Now I have been to Brussels several times both on business and personal reasons and I have to confess the city holds a special place for me. Anyone who's been to Brussels will be quick to tell you that it's not short of watering holes and rightly so when Belgium has such a fantastic selections of beers. There's something for everyone in terms of beer, even for those who don't like beer (as one of my friends will testify)! So with this fact in mind its quite a feat to pick the best one. However from my personal experiance I have to say that it's Poechenellekelder. Situated across from the Mannekin Pis, Brussels famous little boy, most would probably assume this to be the typical tourist trap with inflated prices and poor service. Such an assumption couldn't be further from the truth.

What sets this apart for me has to be the establishment itself. Stepping inside for the first time is quite a suprise. Rather than the insides of a typical bar it is instead something of a surreal museum with puppets and upside down beers hanging from the celling and all other sorts of bizzare decor not to mention the policeman sat next to the stairs (don't worry, he's been there a while).

Amoung the healthy choice of bar snacks which include some traditional Belgian dishes "kannibal", a steak tartare served on an open sandwich is probably my favourite. Excellent service from waiters who aren't afraid to give you a bit of tongue-in-cheek back and forth completes the friendly and inviting atmosphere. The option to sit outside in the summer months is also a lovely addition.

And of course with 286 beers (the last time I was there) on the menu you're never short of choice for the main reason you came here!
Chokk says:
I try to be back once a month but it is a quite ambitious plan. last year I managed 7 visits. Since living there for 4 years I loads of Belgian friends to visit and there simply is not time enough!
Posted on: Jan 08, 2011
GeorgeLeach says:
Personally Christian, I just miss Brussels in general. It's been far too long since I was last there.
Chokk says:
I miss the Kannibal btw!!

Check Brussels Hotel Deals