Pod Strusiem pizza & ristorante

ul. Ruska 61, Wroclaw, Poland

Pod Strusiem pizza & ristorante Wroclaw Reviews

spocklogic spocklog…
Far From the Madding Crowd Jul 12, 2014
My first night in Wroclaw I wandered around the Rynek (Market Square), which is the center of Wroclaw activity, looking to have a decent dinner. When I arrive in a new city I am usually just not in the mood for anything on the main squares, and prefer something quiet and peaceful off a side street maybe. Pod Strusiem seemed to be the place for me. It means "The Ostrich" and how appropriate given my mood for solitude. I needed a place 'Far from the Madding Crowd' to make a Thomas Hardy reference.

I passed by this place a couple times because it was underground and the neon PIZZA sign didn't appeal to me, but eventually there was something colorful and attractive to the underground stairwell that eventually drew me in. Once in the subterranean level I was happy for the choice because it was like a friendly cave inside and decorated accordingly. There was even a TV so I could enjoy something to watch and relax with myself. A solo diner need something to occupy the time, yes? The atmosphere was quite relaxed and I took a table and waited for service.

The waitstaff doesn't speak much English, but they are quite friendly and try to be helpful. They have a small paper sheet with some dishes explained in English, which I found out after expressing confusion on the Polish menu. This sheet is not as extensive in choice as for the Polish menu, but I appreciated it nevertheless. I ordered the bulion z klopsikami wołowo-szpinakowymi (broth with meatballs beef and spinach) and pierogi z mięsem (dumplings with meat) along with a draft beer. I asked for a Polish brew and she recommended Tyskie. I nodded and thought - Make it so...

The meal what great. Despite it being July, the night was cool and the soup with meatballs was comforting and tasty. I didn't know what to expect with the dumplings, but they were fantastic and I ate every last one of them with enjoyment. Overall, this underground retreat is great for some privacy to talk with friends or watch a game on the TV, enjoy some tasty food and/or have drink. I can recommend it for something off the main square, but far from the madding crowd. Total for my meal & beer was 30 Zloty ($9 USD) - Great price for the food quality, quantity, service and surroundings.
Restaurant signage
Subterranean stairwell
Restaurant interior
Table view with TV
spocklogic says:
My understanding is that it is inspired by Aboriginal caves, so it's Australian in theme - hence its namesake regarding the Ostrich too. Strangely, though, there is nothing really Australian about the menu.
Posted on: Oct 06, 2014
MannyK says:
Nice review Brian- If I ever go to Poland, I will be ordering bulion z klopsikami wołowo-szpinakowymi with dumplings on the side- sounded delicious!
Posted on: Oct 03, 2014
vances says:
So did the name derive from it's underground location?
Posted on: Oct 03, 2014