Pocahontas County West Virginia

Pocahontas County West Virginia - NRAO, Greenbank

Pocahontas County West Virginia Marlinton Reviews

johnnyk johnnyk
Jun 19, 2007
Without much evident contemplation the wife and son announced that we could do whatever I wanted for Fathers Day weekend.

I loaded them in the car with Grandma and we took off on the six hour drive to the sleepy burg of Marlinton in Pocahontas County West Virginia.

They say that getting there is half the fun. Who are THEY, and why would they say THAT?

I attempted a different and poorly planned route and we managed to waste much time sitting on the Baltimore Beltway after what must have been a tremendous impact between a silver Volvo and the rear an unlucky soccer moms Chrysler minivan. We then needed to seek relief from Grandmas intestinal distress at a shoddy Charm City fast food institution. The burgers were awful and JaJuans customer service was not much better, but when we departed our crew was no longer hungry and we had avoided any unfortunate incidents like we had on Fathers Day 2001.

Uh hum.

We stopped again in Virginia for gasoline, sandwiches and beverages where I was entertained by the affable clerk who chatted about poaching black bear and his twenty two year sentence in Bath County for crimes ending in a car chase. I did not share tales of my own previous Bath County legal imbroglio. You shouldn't get twenty years for going 62mph in a 55 zone in Bath County......just as long as you are polite to the officer.

I know what you are thinking, and I was found to be "Not Guilty", thank you very much.

Where were we?

Just after dark we finally arrived at our accommodations south of Marlinton, a gorgeous log and river stone cabin owned by the amicable Bill Barnett (Barnett Cabins, Hillsboro WV). This area of West Virginia is some of the prettiest landscape in the Appalachian Mountains. We visited Beartown State Park where a boardwalk traverses a beautiful hillside packed with lichen encrusted boulders, and deep mossy crevasses. The family was treated to a great look at a large gobbler near the parking area.

Be sure to spend some time browsing the Hillsboro Country Store anytime you get to the area.

Our return trip found us traveling north through Snowshoe and Cass (Cass Railroad State Park)with a stop at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory at Greenbank. We had hoped that Jody and TD could rent some horses and ride to the summit at Seneca Rocks. Unfortunately for them, Bubba Yokum (Yokum Stables)declared the weather too hot to ride and our fairweather crew elected not to take the hike.

Outdoor activity is the attraction to the area. Besides hunting and fishing, the Greenbriar River Valley is excellent for hiking, canoeing and mountain biking. Skiers flock to Snowshoe in the winter months. Climbers will enjoy Seneca Rocks and there are enough caves in the area for the heartiest of spelunkers. Avid golfers can find a course or two but will likely not be overly impressed.

Tyler spotted some deer outside his window in the early morning hours and we all watched a large Rainbow Trout swirl in the stream running beside the cabin. A birder can usually find very enjoyable watching in the mountains and valleys of southeastern West Virginia.
Hillsboro cabin
old mill
TD at Beartown
country store
sybil says:
sounds like a great daddy's day! :D
Posted on: Aug 26, 2007
vances says:
You should really try Puerto Rico - I'm guessing that the opportunities for long prison sentences could be much greater than WV...
Posted on: Jun 20, 2007