Plaza Theatre

(403) 283-3636

Plaza Theatre Calgary Reviews

ladyluck13and7 ladyluck…
An old cinema so awesome even the yuppies couldn't bring it down Jul 23, 2010
This movie theatre is situated in the heart of Kensington. If you've ever read my previous reviews, you might have some idea of my sentiments about this area. It is my personal belief that the entire neighbourhood has become a chotchy yuppie-wonderland. Expensive home decor stores -lampshades for 300 bucks!!!- and snootie cafes patronized by espresso-sipping douches who were conceived by weak sperm while wearing Ed Hardy underpants dot the landscape of Kensington like a bad case of ringworm. At one point, there were 5 used bookstores for crying out loud!!

The only awesome thing left (in Clare's humble opinon) is this movie theatre. Constructed in 1935, it has withstood the onslaught of Yuppitis like a tough old man that has survived two world wars. It might die one day, but not without a damn good fight.

The theatre itself can only show one film at a time but often will feature 3-4 in a single day. It has an incredibly retro feel and the temperature always seems to feel just right when you step in. The popcorn is always fresh and no one ever asks if you want margarine on your popcorn.

Only people with no tastebuds and a bad heart ask for margarine.

The guy that makes the popcorn looks like a nerdy viking. I find his stoic silence endearing. He has long beautiful hair. I bet he uses mane n' tail.

The films shown are an electic mix of old cult classics, foreign, independent and some mainstream.

I've watched everything from Harry Brown and Encounters at the End of the World to Little Shop of Horrors and The Prophet here.

I love that theres lots of space between everyone.

I enjoy going to the mantinees when there's less people so I can swear, cry, laugh and talk to myself.

The films are cheap. You can see a feature for 9 bucks and students pay 7.

They only accept cash but they have an atm.
londonstudent says:
Yes, I do see what you mean! I sincerely hope that folk in our Kensington are not similarly attired ...
Posted on: Aug 04, 2010
ladyluck13and7 says:
Well, they are an object of my derision! Look at them!
Posted on: Aug 03, 2010
londonstudent says:
A highly instructive review, since it required me to google Ed Harvey Underpants, of which I knew nothing before ...
Posted on: Aug 03, 2010