Plaza Jamaa el Fna

Marrakech, Morocco

Plaza Jamaa el Fna Marrakech Reviews

Bojasem Bojasem
Heart of marrakich Oct 10, 2013
Jamaa el Fna is a square and market place in Marrakesh's medina quarter (old city). It remains the main square of Marrakesh, used by locals and tourists.this place heart of Marrakesh, You can't visit the city without having been there. I walk hours and hours around the square , I stayed just to a corner for couple of picture shoots , I drunk many juices , try some Moroccan tea cakes and many more ,Many charlatans , snake charmers , monkeys showman fortune-tellers, henna ladies and many more around .it nice shopping area there are soaps,Moroccan classical ,custom,food corner ,Diacritics, etc.

there are disgusting smell in this area & when you walk you

will saw a lot of bigger, i think hours enough.
me close mendkar arch
medina arch
old medina gate
joseph98 says:
I loved this place - went back there pretty much every evening. I actually liked the smell of the food stalls, and there was this hilarious guy I saw most nights who, once he'd found out I was from the UK, kept on greeting me with 'easy peasy lemon squeezy', hahahaha! :D
Posted on: Oct 10, 2013
rsvpme says:
Interesting..thanks !
Posted on: Oct 10, 2013
Aurelie20 Aurelie20
Arabian Nights at Djema el Fna Jan 28, 2011
Djema el Fna is thé beating heart of Marrakech. You can't visit the city without having been there. I've lost my heart there. My best friend and me always had dinner there around 11pm. It's a big square, right by the Koutoubia-mosque that comes alive at night. Dancers, eat stands, Hennatattoo-ladies (make sure they don't start painting Henna on you before you've arranged a price!!), Freshly squeezed orange-stands, a whole row of it, and so on, and so on...The energy at this place is just fantastic. It's like a open-airfestival, every single day! The one thing that bugged me a little was when you arrived there from the head street, you have to pass these horse carriages and they smell! Really bad! but that's the only thing. I only have good memories from going there and highly recommand it. The discovery of it only made my trip more enjoyable.
Koralifix says:
Congrats on today's feature! Very well done!
Aurelie20 says:
Wow, thanks alot guys, I didn't expect this review to be read (maybe by one or two people that were interested in Marrakech), I just wrote it because I hadn't done it before. Thank you for the comments and the smiles, definitely made this student's day =D
@davidx : you only live once, if you're going to believe every negative thing they say/take everyone's (bad) advice, than there's no point on traveling at all, you might as well stay at home. I hope you enjoyed the food there as much as I did.

greetings !!
monky says:
Congrats on your featured review!
Johnpro Johnpro
Hubbub Plaza ! Jan 01, 2011
Of course is the top one highlight of the Marrakesh and the must place !

I walk hours and hours around the square , I stayed just to a corner for couple of picture shoots , I drunk many juices , try some biscuits and of course some coffee cakes and many more !

Many noise around the Jamaa el Fna during the daylight which give the baton to the nightlight with amazing smells and tastes !

Many charlatans , snake charmers , monkeys showman fortune-tellers, henna ladies and many more around !

Many coffee shops and fresh juice stands there but pretty tough to found a pub just for a beer :)

As it has is a great square with a specialty :)

More and more photos uploaded to my main page with journal entry :)
spocklogic says:
Though I've never been, you seem to have captured the essence with a brevity of words and some quite nice photos (Not too few and not too many, but just right).
Posted on: Dec 29, 2011
wagslikeadog wagslike…
The Heart of the Medina Jan 29, 2011
"La Place" as it's known to the locals is at the heart of the old medina of Marrakech. Back in the day, it was used as the main meeting place for farmers and craftsmen to come to sell their wares and socialize, and for public executions(!) Now, it is a large, irregularly-shaped, paved open-area surrounded by terraced cafes, vendors, shops and mosques.

By day, one can find assorted orange juice carts, henna-ladies, snake charmers (who's flute-notes are a trademark sound of the place), monkey handlers, coulourfully dressed water vendors and ever-present beggars.

In the evening and after dark, La Place really comes to life. It fills up with local food stalls, who's boisterous urchins beckon to all to stop at their stall to eat. There are acrobats, story tellers and it is just packed with locals and tourists. Due to the close proximity of so many people, keep valuables well tucked away or zipped up, as the potential for pick-pockets is very real.

Pretty much all the alleyways in the medina will eventually lead here if one walks long enough and it's an excellent place to find one's bearings if they're feeling a bit lost or claustrophobic in the dark souks.

Contrary to what a previous reviewer stated, traffic certainly flows at all times of the day around the edges of the "square": Cars, vans, assorted animals, taxis and, like everywhere else in Marrakch, the darting, exhaust-belching scooters. Keep your eyes and ears open and be attentive at all times!

Having a meal, coffee or mint tea (Berber Whiskey) on the upper terrace of one of the cafes or restaurants surrounding it is a must. Bring a camera as words alone cannot describe the experience. It's a bit touristy really, but it should not be missed on any trip to Marrakech! It is unique and unforgettable.
After dark
Water guy
triciaserrato triciase…
Life after sunlight May 25, 2011
I went to Morocco last November 2010, and visited the cities of Marrakesh and Fez. And in Marrakesh, there's the famous center called Djemaa El Fna. A place where calmness, turns to storm.

In the morning, you see nothing but an open spaced horizon of nothingness. Only some juice vendors, snake charmers, and restaurants. But when dawn strikes, expect to be amazed. At around 4 o'clock in the afternoon, people and workers in restaurants will start to build their tents. For what? For everything that they can sell. And viola! After 1 hour, all the tourists and locals will journey to the square where it literally comes to life. There will be countless of food stalls right in the middle of the square. Entertainers of all sorts such as story tellers with a chicken on top of their head, dancers, boxers. It was a circus in 2 hours. The experience was incredible. Djemaa El Fna was full of culture. It's a must see.
lelliott0505 lelliott…
Bombing at Cafe Argana May 05, 2011
I narrowly missed the bombing by about an hour because my train from Casablanca was delayed. What I wanted to say is that Marrakech is probably now the safest it has ever been. The local people were horrified by the tragedy. Marrakech, especially, relies heavily on the tourist industry. So please don't be put off going to this magical city.
isabelinha isabelin…
Jamal efna Marquet May 17, 2011
“The land of God” and known also as “The red city” is a charming and coclourful city with lots to explore. A must see is the historic Jamal Efna square - a Unesco World heritage site, where musicans, snake charmers and magicans gather to enchant people's minds and spirit. Its full of restaurants and the people of Marraquesh complettely fill this square every early evening. Lots and lots ot artists perform herein a diverse array of morrocan traditional music from Gnawa to Berber.
davidx davidx
Wow, what a square!! Nov 12, 2007
For a start, it's enormous! It's largely free of traffic, except for deliveries. During different hours of the day it is transformed.

In the morning it is very sparsely populated. There are a few normal market-type stalls and a few with tooth-pullers (ugh), snake charmers and performing monkeys. I swore I would never go near the snake charmers - my photos show how this went!

In the evening the whole square is packed - both with people and stalls. There are many selling meals and among the other stalls, fortune tellers, story tellers

and boy dancers are the most common. I had heard that it might be dangerous to eat in the square but the Scottish owners of the riad whee I was staying told me I should try it once for the experience. I tried it the first night and felt no danger at all - nor any reason to avoid returning every other night. The second thing I had intended to avoid was eating sheep's eyeballs. At least I can claim that it was not very good light when I did so - and enjoyed it!
Djemaa el Fna at night