2901 East Hastings Street, Vancouver, Canada
(604) 252-3583

Playland Vancouver Reviews

Raches Raches
Aug 09, 2006
Ever since I got over my fear of rollercoasters (sometime between age 7 and 11), theme parks have always been a favourite of mine. Sydney's themepark, Wonderland, closed down a couple of years ago, much to my disappointment (and yes, despite being 23, I would have visited it almost every year if I could have). Playland, Vancouver's theme park, isn't nearly as big as Wonderland - it's more like an overgrown fair. But it has some great rides. I rediscovered my inner child with Cristy, one of my aunt and uncle's employees.

Unfortunately, I can't remember all the names of the rides at Playland, but I can tell you that there's a decent amount of upside-down rides, twisty-turny rides,rides that go round and round and leaveyou plastered to oneside, andthe Hellevator which drops you from a grand height.The rickety wooden rollercoaster was the only ride we went on twice, and was reminiscent of (but not quite in the same league as) the Bush Beast, Wonderland's resident wooden coaster. Apparently, some 2 months ago someone died on the Mouse ride, which is meant for kids. Cristy told me this as we were lining up, and we later agreed it was the scariest ride of all: you fly along screeching tracks in a tiny little cart, with turns so sharp you think the whole cart is going to topple over and you'll end up splattered on the floor way below.

We decided to shell out $10 each to do the Drop Zone, which looks like bungee jumping in an arc instead of straight down. It's a mere 33m high (but felt much higher), and you and your partner are raised by cables linked to the backs of your bodysuit things. Then one of you has to pull the ripcord, which sends you falling stomach-first; you end up swinging back and forth for some time after, which is quite fun. And well worth the $10, I say (it's the poor man's bungee jump experience).

There's fast food and prize games galore, just like you'd expect to find at any theme park. And at the height of summer, we didn't have to wait too long for any rides. For $20-$30 a ticket (depending on where you get it from), it's not a bad way to spend an afternoon.
X_Drive says:
Glad you had fun. An adrenaline junkie I have never been. And growing up in Southern California I had plenty of chances to try.
Posted on: Aug 15, 2006