Platypus House

200 Flinders Street, Beauty Point, Australia

Platypus House Beauty Point Reviews

Sunflower300 Sunflowe…
Fall in love with a unique Aussie Feb 24, 2009
Platypus House is the only place in the world you can have an up close and personal experience with two of the most amazing animals. The platypus of course and the echidna; as different as these two animals are they are actually related. This is something you would learn if you came to Platypus House (if you didn’t learn it here first). There is a lot to learn at Platypus House, about both of these unusual little animals.

If you want to see the animals, you will have to take the hour-long tour but it is well worth it. It is fully guided by one of the knowledgeable staff members, you have the chance to touch the fur of the platypus and see the spurs of the male platypus before heading into the tank area where you watch three of these furry little animals frolic in the water and climb between tanks. From here, you enter the room where the breeding tank is, with two playful platypuses who will one day, with any hope, bring young ones into the world.

Once the platypus tour is over and you have learnt all you can about the platypus and taken as many photos as you can of them (flash is allowed – and you need it) it is into the echidna enclosure. Here you meet three cute little echidna who have the run of the place. While the people on the tour stand on the paths watching them eat and learn some interesting facts about them, they gobble up their food and then scurry around the room in to the bushland setting and back onto the path to crawl over your feet and stick their tongues up your pant legs if you are lucky. You cannot use your flash in the echidna enclosure, as their eyes are very sensitive to light.

Tours run daily from 10:30am - 3:30pm in winter, and 9:30am - 4:30pm in summer

$46 Family (2 Adults, 3 Children)

$18 Adults

$15 Seniors/Students/Pensioners

$9 Children under 16

The cost includes a fully guided tour, a video on the platypus and access to the interpretation centre.

There is a coffee shop and gift shop on the premises.

www.platypushouse.com.au

200 Flinders Street

Beauty Point, TAS 7270

0439 986 698
The uniquely Australian Platypus
Happily playing
One of the breeding pair
The Echidnas are fed on every tour
Sunflower300 says:
Thanks to everyone for the smiles and congratulations on my review. :)
Posted on: Mar 17, 2009
Sunflower300 says:
Yes Sylvia, dad did enjoy himself, he was impressed with how much he learnt, and like me having the opportunity to view these cuties up close. :)
Posted on: Mar 17, 2009
sylviandavid says:
Did your dad enjoy this as much as you did?...... It really is a unique opportunity to see and enjoy these unusual creatures... Sylvia
Posted on: Mar 16, 2009
goezi goezi
Tassie Oddities Apr 09, 2008
Housed in what appears to be an old warehouse on the wharf at Beauty Point is Platypus House, which has a great display of both Platypus and Echidna.

Once you enter the building you pay a fee of about AU$25 per adult. Initially I balked at the price but remember this is a conservation project not just a zoo and at the end of the informative tour it seemed a reasonable price for both those reasons.

Tours are timed so whilst a video explaining the troubles facing Platypus (loss of habitat, unexplained breeding failures) is playing to one group, another is visiting the two enclosures.

The video was very interesting and you leave the theater already hoping the Platypus rediscovers his MOJO so we can marvel at these odd creatures for many years to come.

You're then lead by a guide/keeper to the platypus tanks. It's cool and damp in this room but one wall is a series of 4 glass fronted tanks that house two pairs of Platypus (or is the Platypie -damn, I should've asked).

During this introduction to the creatures a stuffed specimen is passed around so you can feel the fur, the beak, and marvel at the poisonous spine at the "heel" of the male's paw.

I recall thinking it was smaller than I had imagined, about the size of a large rat, but cuter!

The next room allows a view of Platypus being fed as they whip around an open-topped pool.

Moving on from here we visit the Echidna room. Half of it is flat floor so we feel at home, the other half is landscaped undergrowth so these large "hedgehogs" feel at home.

It's low-lighting is so the critters don't hurt their eyes. Throughout the whole place you're able to take photographs, without flash of course.

After the keeper has done the intro to the Echidna a plate of mashed maggots is put on the floor and the prickly things zoom over and get stuck in.

Obviously they are fed for each tour and I must say I was glad. Their tongues were the most impressive part of the Echidna and I tried to catch a good shot of them darting over the plate, frustrated by the lack of light.

All in all it was a good hour and very educational.
Platypus chewing on fat worm
Mmm, Maggot mush
LMAO :)
Posted on: Mar 07, 2009
goezi says:
Umm, hmm, I could have sworn there was someone there a moment ago. Perhaps those voices have returned to my head?
-Asking strange questions about my means of travel and then doing the disappearing act. Must be time to take my medication again...
C:
Posted on: Mar 06, 2009
Sunflower300 says:
To whom are you talking? :D

I am about to do a review on this marvellous place. I loved it, I had one of the Echidna stick his nose up my jeans and stick his tongue out. It still sends shivers down my spine.

BTW it's Platypuses. :)

Thanks for the great review.
Posted on: Mar 05, 2009

Related Travel Blogs About Platypus House

Unique Aussies, meet the Platypus and Echidna
Dad wanted to head up to Launceston to see the National Automobile Museum of Tasmania and I have wanted to go to Sea Horse World since I first heard about it a few years ago, and recently I heard …Platypus House at Beauty Point just past Launceston. So dad and I hit the road; we stopped for coffee in Campbell…
Day trip around the Tamar highway
A good day trip out from Launceston is to skirt the Tamar River which flows down to the city from the top of Tasmania, out of the Bass Strait.We left Launceston following the Tamar West Highway (on t…Platypus House" at Beauty Point (reviewed as well).   Ma and Margaret had already visited a place telling them a little…

Check Beauty Point Hotel Deals