Plato's Academy

Plato's Academy Athens Reviews

Johnpro Johnpro
Plato's Academy Jan 02, 2012
History :

Academy was a suburb of Athens named after the hero Academos or Ecademos. The site was continuously inhabited from the prehistoric period until the 6th century AD. During the 6th century BC one of the three famous gymnasiums of Athens was founded here. It is recorded that Hippias, the son of Peisistratos, built a circuit wall and Cimon planted the area with trees which were destroyed by Sulla in 86 BC.

In 387 BC Plato founded his philosophical school which became very famous due to the Neoplatonists and remained in use until 526 AD when it was finally closed down by Emperor Justinian.

Useful Links : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platonic_Academy

What around :

How to go : It's quiet difficult to walk or catch a bus , if you want take the number 51 from omonoia square (I have a photo ) , but is more better to take a taxi from the center the cost will be about 5-8 euro and is about 3km away from the center ! Just ask the taxi driver for the Kolonos - Akadimia platonos (Greek name) area ! To the map you can see exactly the place !

Tips :

Opening hours and tickets :

24 hours but visit at daylight , Free no ticket

Extra comment : Maybe it's an ancient area but not so touristic , looks like more than a park than a historical area ! I hope so to recreate to a real ancient place ! Always the photographs are thousand of words , don't ask me what is there , you have eyes and see :) Also I disappointed with our ministry because don't give the proper value of this area !!!

The photos are from 2012 !

P.s. I make the review like a small guide ! I know is more better and easier to read ! If you ask me what I like ? I like all of them and love to be a tourist in my city :)

I am not Historical or a Guide , just explore my city :) . Extra information contact with me :).

Thanks for reading !
Johnpro says:
@Cicie , You are right & for this reason I am angry !
@Jutta , you take the same answer ... and an extra one :) Our government giving priority to take new loan from IMF :)

We have rich country with poor politicians !!!
Posted on: Feb 13, 2012
aloneinthecrowd says:
Such a nice place :) But as Cicie already mentioned it needs some maintance. I fear that'll be priority no. 1 in Greece nowadays :(
Posted on: Feb 12, 2012
cicie says:
This place need some maintance, Gianis:)
Posted on: Feb 12, 2012