Places To Stay in Rio de Janeiro

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Places To Stay in Rio de Janeiro Reviews

HuBison HuBison
Picking a place depends on what you need and you have several options May 16, 2012
I have been to Rio twice and have enjoyed my stay in Copacabana each time. The first time (2006), I stayed in a hotel and enjoyed the service, the pool and the view of the beach. The second time (2012), we rented an apartment and saved some money. We were only 1 block from the beach, rented a studio and it worked out super.

If you stay in Copacabana and want beach access and safety, I wouldn't stay more that 2 or 3 blocks from the beach. We stayed on Avenida Copacabana (at Rua Xavier de Silvio) and it was perfect. Staying in Ipanema can be a little more expensive, but folks like that beach a little better, the waves are a little smaller, there may be less vendors harassing you and Posts 8 and 9 are popular for the gay crowd (whether you are looking for certain folks to hang out with or are a girl and don't wanna be harrassed by men every 10 minutes). Property in Leblon can be even a little more expensive.

Santa Teresa is known for it's Bohemian vibe and there are some cool places, but a Brazilian on my plane ride back to the US says it has changed and although it's a nice place to walk around during the day, he said it's not as nice or safe in the evening and walking down the hill into Lapa isn't really recommended anymore.

If you get housing in Lapa, you need to know that you might not be able to sleep at night cause it gets loud and crowded down there (but I guess it might allow you to stumble home if you don't get robbed by the gang of little children wandering the streets of Lapa). Downtown might be an option, but you will have to get transportation to where you want to go in the evening.
Marie_livefast Marie_li…
Santa Teresa Jun 27, 2011
Santa Teresa is a great place to stay in Rio. A lot of travellers seem to head for Ipanema or Copacobana beaches. Although its great to be near the beach, the nightlife in this area is pretty poor. Lapa is the best for nightlife in Rio - and Santa Teresa is a beautiful place on a hill about 15 minutes walk away whereas the beaches are about 20 minutes away in a taxi.

Related Travel Blogs About Places To Stay in Rio de Janeiro

Shooting From The Hip
So I don't think of myself as the most spontaneous person, but I'm starting to realize that maybe i am much more spontaneous than I see myself. I've had this "roll with it" attitude towards life for …places to stay or jobs while i'm down there. I might not even be staying in rio de janeiro

Check Rio de Janeiro Hotel Deals