Pizzeria Al Sarago

117 Landstraßer Hauptstraße, Vienna, Austria

Pizzeria Al Sarago Vienna Reviews

Chokk Chokk
A Little Italy in Vienna Oct 14, 2013
I arrived pretty late in the hotel situated just on the opposite side of the road. It was after 10.15 pm but I was quite hungry after my evening flight. I just dropped my gear and crossed the street and entered the Al Sarago restaurant. The restaurant was evidently Italian as there was a pizza sign above the door but well inside it was another feeling that met me.

I had stepped in to a piece of Italy in the middle of Vienna and what a joy it was. There were only two tables that were busy and they were both on their dessert. I therefore asked the waiter that met me if the kitchen was still open and to my luck it was. I found a table near their bar and close to their kitchen but still in a place so I had a good view of the entire restaurant, All those ours watching Goodfellas had not been wasted.

The restaurant was located on corner and it gave the place loads of windows. The interior was all built up in wood and there were white tablecloths on the tables. It looked pretty nice, and I quickly found out that all personnel only spoke Italian or German, except of the owner Lucca. Lucca came and introduced himself, took my hand and explained about the menu and their specials of the day. After a short peek on the menu I decided for a shrimp salad and the filet that Lucca recommended. I ordered a large beer because it was getting too late for wine.

The atmosphere was Italian, the staffs had huge discussions in Italian all the time and I loved being back in a piece of Italy. I talked a little football with them because Denmark and Italy were playing a world cup qualification on the Friday of the same week in Copenhagen.

The shrimp salad was great, large and it was literally full of shrimps, which I am not used to find. There might have been a bit too much sauce but I had ordered some lovely focaccia flat bread and they came in handy. Shortly after I finished my salad, the main course arrived and it was as perfect and just as the host Lucca had described while he introduced the menu. The steak was perfect, between rare and medium and you could have cut it with a spoon. The sauce was creamy, and covered some nicely fried mushrooms and slices of eggplants. The roasted potatoes were great as well and I was quite full after my meal so I settled with a double espresso and a grappa on the house.

It was truly a perfect meal, with Italian ambiance and passion. I just would love to come back.
My main dish
The shrimp salad
Chokk says:
It was great - loved there - went in the day after as well just to have a beer and a talk to the guys - nice people
Posted on: Oct 17, 2013
sylviandavid says:
Wow.... sounds so good....
Posted on: Oct 16, 2013